Topic

More durable bladder for the Sawyer Squeeze?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) More durable bladder for the Sawyer Squeeze?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Is there a more durable water bladder for the Sawyer Squeeze than the Evernew or new Sawyer ones? Thanks.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

shouldn't need anything more durable than the Evernew.. if so then relax man! ha

the only issues with the old Sawyer bags was the top seam leaking eventually, not the actual bag part.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

1 liter soda bottle works

It's designed to hold carbonated beverage so it's stronger. 1.4 ounce for 1 liter, about the same weight as a 2 liter Evernew. The plastic is oriented in cylinder which is a stronger design than two sheets lap welded at the edges, and welded to the opening.

I took 1 liter soda bottle and 2 1 liter water bottles that weigh 0.65 ounce each. Or you could take a 2 liter bag instead for slightly less weight, but it takes less room when empty.

Clear bottle allows me to see if there's any sediment and make sure it doesn't go into filter.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

How do you squeeze a soda bottle over and over again?

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

I use the Evernew bags and have had zero durability issues. Did you have one fail?

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

EDIT, just realized you had already specified "NEW" sawyer bag.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"How do you squeeze a soda bottle over and over again?"

I used 1 liter soda bottle. Squeezed out about 1/4 liter, then unscrewed Squeeze enough to let air in, repeat…

Now maybe a soda bottle is designed to hold pressure in an expanded shape, and not be crinkled down. That might cause it to fail eventually. Mine is a bit wrinkled after 4 days of use. Might have to replace it occasionally.

The main reason for using this, is to make it easier to carry 3.5 liters of water in my pack. It doesn't seem like water bag like Platypus, Sawyer, or Evernew would be strong enough to hold water in my pack?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Depends how you pack them i suppose.

i don't usually carry more than 2L in my normal Powerade bottles but when I do i have the 1.5L evernew that fits in the stretch back pocket of my Exos. I use the Evernew for the filter anyway. As a matter of "safety" and preference I don't pack water inside my pack ever in case something does leak.

i do think soft bottles will tolerate the rolling/squeezing involved with filtering better than the soda bottles.. since those wrinkles in the bottle will weaken eventually.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I've used the bag which I babied. Slowly squeezed water out of it or let gravity do it, but then I forget about it and water overflows onto the ground.

With the soda bottle I can apply more pressure and it doesn't seem like there's any chance anything will break. And I can just stand the bottle with filter on it and it just stands there. The bag flops over and I fear it will weaken the bag and break.

Maybe all my problems are just phsycological : )

I'm not saying this is the solution, but just another possible way to do it.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

Using one liter bottled water bottles has worked fine for me. You do have to make sure that you get one with nozzle threads compatible with the Sawyer Squeeze; some don't work quite right, leak a little. Aquafina bottles seem to work great.

The bottle isn't going to last an awful long time. I've used same bottle for 10 days or so with no problems, probably could have gone longer.

It does help to periodically unscrew Squeeze to let air back in the bottle when squeezing. Also I find I can generally suck water through the Squeeze when barely squeezing the bottle or even not squeezing it at all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools