Topic

Hiking in Montana in the beginning of July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hiking in Montana in the beginning of July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Hey Everyone

I am going to be in Montana this July and was just wondering if there were some trails that people recommend for hiking and trail running around the areas of Troy, MT and Darby, MT or a good source to find such trails.

Thanks

Josh

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Josh,

Two good general books are Falcon Guides: Bill Schneider's Hiking Montana and Bill Cunningham's Wild Montana. Each has a section on the Darby/Missoula area.

Richard

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I know nothing about the Troy area.

Darby is a great little town. You'll have the whole Bitterroot Valley at your feet, with for all-purposes endless options.

Blodgett Canyon is a nice, though crowded, hike. You can do as long and out and back as you like. Quite rocky in spots.

Hiking to the summit of Trapper is also a worthwhile outing, and gives one of the better views of the whole area.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies. Have picked up the wild montana from amazon.

David, do you know where I can find trails maps and what not for those two hikes you mention? What sort of mileage and elevation is trapper? Also, is blodgett canyon doable in one day?

Also, will I have problems with snow at a certain elevation because it is only the beginning of july?

Thanks

Josh

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

There are numerous shops in Missoula (the Trailhead, REI) in Missoula which carry maps. No doubt places in Hamilton as well (Red Barn bikes).

Blodgett can be as long or as short as you like.

Trapper is around 9k at the summit (I think), and perhaps 10 miles round trip? Might be some snow up high in July, but the 'roots had a lean winter and early spring. Unless you get really up in north facing stuff you shouldn't have issues.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools