Topic

Roman Dial book

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Roman Dial book

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

I am thinking about trying out packrafting. The book by Roman Dial looks like a good resource. I noticed it was published in 2008. Are the sections on gear going to be outdated?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Only in a few minute particulars concerning the rafts themselves. Overall the gear section, and the book as a whole, will stand the test of time. Highly recommended.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm in the same boat as you, I haven't tried packrafting but would like to at some point. In case you are interested there are packrafting rentals available in the Jackson Hole area and poassibly other areas. Earlier this year I put some serious thought into renting a packraft and floating the Snake for a day.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Luke – There are some guys that rent packrafts right here in Salt Lake City. Makes it very tempting to try.

David – Thanks for the input. I think I'll be ordering the kindle edition soon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you haven't bought and read the Dial book, do so. I am relatively new to packrafting and found it very instructive. It is not heavy on technique or equipment. What makes it effective is that teaches you what a wonderful tool it can be for someone who is already a backcountry adventurer. You will read it and want to be Roman Dial or Dick Griffith when you grow up. There's a lot of adventure yarns in there, and they're effective for showing you how to use the boats.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools