Topic

Solution for transporting Caldera cone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solution for transporting Caldera cone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I was thinking about picking up one of these for my MSR Titan pot (0.85 L), but how to pack it? The caddy they sell is just too heavy. I'm looking for something that weighs around 10 g or less. I was wondering if pipe insulation foam would work. I could roll it up, stick it in the pipe insulation, and then rubber band it. Thoughts? I think the pipe insulation would fall under my 10 g requirement.

BTW, does anyone know if they offer this in a Ti version as well as Al?

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I used to just roll up the cone and floor, wrap it in a thin piece of tyvek and put a rubber band around it. It would sit at the top of the my pack so it wouldn't get crushed.

Never had any problems but ultimately switched to the Sidewinder model so the cone could instead be rolled up and placed inside my cookpot.

And yes, the cones are available in ti. They are called the "ti-tri" on the Trail Designs website. Good stuff.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I cut off the top of a round plastic water bottle to use as a scoop for a sawyer squeeze; turns out a caldera cone will fit in it just perfect.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I use the caddy because it is multi-purpose.

1 – it carries and protects the Caldera Cone and stove (as designed)

2 – it carries and protects numerous other fragile items (i.e. hardboiled eggs, cracker slugs, etc.)

2 – it serves as both my cup and bowl.

3 – I've taped fluid ounce measurements to both pieces for measuring liquids

4 – for trips with my gas canister stove instead of my Graham Cracker stove, it carries and protects that as well.

YMMV

Casey Jones
    BPL Member

@cjsbug

Email Trail Designs and ask if the cone fits inside your pot. Mine does (Evernew 0.9L).
    The cone comes in a reusable Tyvek sleeve (as long as you don't cut it off) so you shouldn't need anything else.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

In the end the solution might be to get a Ti sidewinder cone, designed to fit inside the pot, and a pot to match. I think the smallest might be for the 0.6L Evernew Ti pot. This is a bit small if you plan to cook typical dehydrated meals in the pot. With the 0.9L version of the pot you can get the cone inside, with the added perk that the 12-10 stove will fit inside as well – just barely. Plus a spork and lighter.

Just looked and unfortunately doesn't look like they have a sidewinder for the MSR Titan 0.85 (they do for the 1.0 though!), but the pot may be cheaper than the cone. Maybe you should consider a different pot if you really care about this. The ones that work with the sidewinder are the ones that are wider and shorter – less mug-like and more pan-like.

I had the same problem, I had a 0.7L Snow Peak pot I really liked and have been using for years, but it was another one that was too narrow. There was just no way to put it all together, with the case and all, that wasn't huge and awkward and multi-component in terms of the packing, at least from my point of view.

Here are some pictures of what I ended up with as my ideal compromise, if it gives you any good ideas:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76745&skip_to_post=655197#655197

Peter Craumer
    BPL Member

@craumerp

I use a Caldera cone with my Titan kettle and pack it in a McDonald's plastic drinking cup with a tight-fitting snap on lid from a coffee can (or something similar). The cup is very strong and durable but weighs only 1 oz. and is solid protection for the cone. The cone, stove, my 8 oz. water bottle for fuel, alcohol measuring cup, and drinking cup with lid is only 3.3 oz. total and it all fits inside. The cup then inverts nicely into the kettle, reducing a lot of the volume. If you use a cup this is an obvious solution, although 18 grams heavier than your preferred solution. A large cup is good for lots of things, but if you spend 10 grams on pipe insulation, will that be useful for anything else?

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

Lay the caldera cone out flat on your foam sleeping pad, then roll them up together. Easy peasy.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jeffrey,

Awesome idea to use the bottle as a scoop.

I am doing the same thing you are for holding my cone, but did not think to use it for a scoop for my platy.

Brillant duel use!

Thanks.

-Tony

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Hey Tony,

Another idea is to use a ziploc bag as a scoop. Someone else turned me on to this idea.

Regarding the cone, I decided to go ahead and buy an Evernew pot so I can get the Sidewinder. I hope it's worth it! But if I were to go with a cone for my MSR Titan Kettle, I think I would do the closed cell foam pad idea. THe only downside is that you can't fold your pad and use it as part of your pack support against your back.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools