Topic

Pot lid plate/skillets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Pot lid plate/skillets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

WHY in Heaven's name can't backpacking cook pot makers offer pot lids that at the least double as skillets and/or plates? You'd think it would be a no-brainer!

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

Annoyingly, I think the reason may be that those kinds of skillets work incredibly badly for cooking, almost to the point of being unusable in my opinion. The metal is just too thin so scorches food too easily. Aluminium pot lid/pans are bad enough, but titanium ones are just a nightmare for frying in as they transfer heat so unevenly. They do work well as plates though!

It's probably lighter or the same weight to take the lightest lid possible (maybe ti foil or aluminium flashing) plus the lightest plate possible (maybe some plastic thing). Much more convinient to cook when you have a separate plate to keep things warm on if you need to, plus a plastic plate is nicer to hold with hot food on it.

If I plan on doing any frying on a trip I will just take the weight hit and take a dedicated frying pan like the tefal one egg wonder (4.65oz for the black coloured one – the red is heavier). Otherwise I'll plan for my meals to be water only cooking. I'd rather have a well prepared water only meal, than a badly prepared fried one.

Perhaps this is just me though ;). Have you had better experience with frying in super thin pans?

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Don't forget the stoic:

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-ti-1.6l-pot-fry-pan-set

A little googling goes a long way. Although the criticism that thin skillets are terrible for cooking on still has merit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools