Topic

Revelation 10D or Rev X?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Revelation 10D or Rev X?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

So my question is about the different fabric options for the Revelation. I am currently torn between getting the absolute lightest NB1/NB2 10D combo, but I'm also a little wary of the strength and long-term durability of these fabrics. On the other hand I'm tempted by the durability of the Rev X 30D 1.1oz nylon, and the price, but put off by the ~100g weight difference in a 6'6 long quilt.

I know there are a lot of Rev and RevX users around here, so my main question is about the different fabric qualities, given that I can't look at or feel them until I buy one. I have a lot of experience with WM fabrics so comparisons to those would be particularly useful. I.e. How does the 10D compare to the WM Extremelite 0.9oz fabric and how does the 30D nylon compare to WM's 1.1oz Microfiber?

Matt Purnell

@treefern

Locale: Brisbane

I've got the same question. Plus how soft on bare skin is the 30D versus the 10D?

I've also shot off a query to Tim regarding the availability of the 10D. Because when I select a long, large Revelation, the 10D doesn't seem to be an option.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I liked the price of the X…but I was not a fan of the fabric. I know most people don't have any problem with it, but compared to the Revelation…well, there is no comparison. I ended up selling the X and keeping the Revelation.

Of course, I am a woman of a certain age and we tend to be a bit, um, sweaty at night. So I might be a bit more sensitive than others, but I did find the 30d quite plasticky.

If you can afford it, by all means go with the Revelation and don't look back.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Hi Jennifer. If I recall correctly though you went with the 15d shell, which is almost 50% heavier than the 10d nb2 option. Did you choose it because of durability concerns?

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Absolutely no concerns from me with the long-term durability of the 10D. I have both a RevX and a 10d/10d Rev. I don't mind the feel of the RevX at all, but the 10d is super comfortable. Treat it as it should, like any other piece of UL gear, and it will last just fine. Search for some threads and you'll see my other comments and experience having an 85 lb German Shepherd in the tent with me and the Rev with no problems.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

The 10d wins by a mile for me, it's that much better, very quality fabric.

Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

I have a 10d rev quilt and love it. Just got it this year and only used it for 10 nights so far, but I don't expect there to be any problem with durability.

-Loki

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Guys, are you talking about your 10D for shell, not liner? Right? The whole quilt is made of 10D fabrics?

THanks!

Corbin Camp

@heycorb

Locale: Southeast

My Rev 40 has the 15D inside and out. I chose that over the RevX 30D because it had a better DWR. The Pertex on my WM Megalite feels almost plasticy compared to my Rev. The DWR on the WM might be a hair better, but I haven't noticed much of a difference. The ounce difference was just a bonus. If you are in a drier area mostly and aren't babying your gear, the RevX is probably better.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I went with the Rev X 20 mostly for cost but at those temps i'm wearing long tops and bottom anyway so feel didn't matter. i don't think it would bother me with short sleeve top either.

Casey Jones
    BPL Member

@cjsbug

After bouncing back and forth in my mind between the Rev and Rev X, I finally bit the bullet today and ordered the 10D/10D.

I went through the same questions of durability, comfortability, $/weight, and even the idea of a combo 10D liner/30D shell with a big yellow stripe down the center. Over the 27 emails back and forth with Tim, he was very patient and quick to respond to my inquiries (thanks Tim!!)

Finally I decided screw it, I'm all in. It's my b-day present to myself anyway. :)

Now the wait…

Matt Purnell

@treefern

Locale: Brisbane

OK, the 10D's are available again, but I swear they weren't earlier (either that, or I'm going crazy). I've just ordered a 6'6" wide in 10D/10D (only option in a wide, anyway). Hoping it will come by July 5th, so I can use it on my next walk.

Casey Jones
    BPL Member

@cjsbug

No, you're not crazy. There was supply delay which is why it was missing from the drop down list. Tim just added it back today.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I went with the 15d shell mostly for the improved DWR. Not sure I needed to, but I was a tad concerned about my muddy pup. Durability not so much, just something a bit more water resistant.

I'm thinking of one day pulling the trigger on a better summer quilt (my go lite 40 deg quilt weighs more than my 20 deg rev!!) and if I do Ill go 10d all around.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Another here that went 10d/10d. I figured if I was going light I was going to go all the way.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Matt & Casey: Good to know others have gone through the same agonising decision process! That's it, 10D it is!

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I just went through this whole process and ended up 10d/10d. I used it for the first time on the trail last weekend and I must say I am happy I went that direction. So comfy!! It feels a bit fragile compared to my WM bags but as long as you care for it I think it will last a long time. Workmanship is outstanding, as was the customer service!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools