Topic

Ibex Indie Hoody too Hot for Summer in the Sierras?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ibex Indie Hoody too Hot for Summer in the Sierras?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I replaced my beloved BPL Hoody after taking it on the JMT and wearing holes through the shoulders with the Ibex 195 weight Indie Hoody.

http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Mens-Long-Sleeve/M-Hooded-Indie

I am considering getting the Ibex Woolies 150 weight Zip Turtle Neck as a lighter, cooler alternative.

http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Mens-Long-Sleeve/M-Woolies-Zip-Turtleneck

Key for me is having a half zip in the front for regulating temperatures and merino wool.

Anyone have any experience with the Ibex Indie Hoody in warm temps of 85-70 degree temperatures in the Sierras to let me know if I am going to fry in it?

Ideally, I would love to have a 150 or lighter weight hoody or something as light as the BPL Hoody.

Searching the internet, I can not seem to find one….suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.

-Tony

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

For me personally, I'd die trying to hike in an ibex indie hoodie at 85 degrees. Even standing around would be quite uncomfortable.

I'd definitely pick something lighter

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I can't comment on the Sierra, but I'm pretty sure you'll fry at temps above 70. The Indy has been my most used base layer for the last 4 years. I love it tremendously, but can't use it during the summer. Too sweaty.

John Pain

@iceberglake

Locale: Road trip

I hiked in a brown Indie last September in Yosemite. It was fine in the high Sierra when I was around 8,000 feet and above. I was able to ventilate well during the hottest parts of the day (mid to high 70s) and the wool was able to regulate heat well.

When I was down lower though (going from Yosemite Valley to Half Dome) it was a bit too hot and I had to switch to a lighter merino T shirt (GoLite Koli)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Tony, THE i/o bio Colby hooded zip is 160GSM single jersey knitted using 96% Australian Merino wool with 4% Lycra , and the new Rab MeCo Hoodie is 165 baselayer top made with Rab's excellent mix of 65% merino wool and Cocona.
    What size do you wear?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Anna,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I wear a medium size.

If I keep taking the bovine steriods, I might make it to a large size in the future. :)

@ everyone else….thank you for confirming what I suspected about the Hoody that I have. Prolonged use in the heat will lead to sterility.

Looking to buy something soon for a trip that I have in July with Jeremy.

This time he wants to try to kill me on a 130 mile trip.

-Tony

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Locale: Denver

Would a Patagonia Merino 1 LS Crew be too hot for JMT in September? Because that was my current plan.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I have a Patagonia Wool 1 (Silkweight) Zip that I prefer for my 3 season hikes. The sleeves are easy to push up when it gets too warm and it breathes easily. The fabric is thin and I have worn a few small holes at my lower back where my hip belt rubs. I think this is the nature of the beast with thin merino garments. If I had to today, I would replace it with the Patagonia Wool 1 long sleeve crew. I believe the Patagonia Wool has a blend of merino and polyester. I have an older (~4 yrs old) Ibex Woolies Zip-T in blue, and found that it was much scratchier than my current Patagonia merino. So much so that I could no longer use it when skiing due to some irritation. It is also a much trimmer/athletic cut compared to the Patagonia. I'm sure the closer skin contact allows for improved wicking action but it felt too constricting for me.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Corey,

I could not find the LS Crew on Patagonia's website.

Maybe this is what you meant?

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-merino-wool-baselayer-1-silkweight-baselayer-crew?p=36360-0-234

If it is this one, I think it would be fine.

It is the lightest weight that they have and the weight of it seems lighter than what I am looking at or close to the same.

The temps that I remember on my 2011 JMT trip in Aug was 75F or lower.

September should be a little cooler.

-Tony

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Tony, that is the Merino I was referring to as well.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

I use Ibex Indie Hoodies for sun/heat protection. I wear a women's XS and there is quite a bit of drape to it…not oversized but not form fitting. I think the 150 woolies top might end up being warmer. The ladies version is a tight fit and the colors are dark.

Just got a a new Indie Hoody in a mustard yellow color…still debating. I wore a light turquoise one and a light tan one last summer. They still have mileage on them. Much cooler than sunscreen.

The Indie gets thinner with wear and wash…until finally it is thread bear.

I don't think you can go strictly by manufacturers' gauges in this context.

All else equal, lycra will no doubt make the piece warmer.

The indie rocks…no gel pockets or silly zip pockets to interfere with hip belt, harness.

Icebreaker has a light merino hoody for the ladies but it's more of a fashion piece…open placket instead of zipper and a slouchy hood…cute though. I just sent it back.

Patagonia still does not have merino right. I can get it at a good discount and I still don't wear it.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Eric,

Thanks for the feedback on the Ibex Zip T.

The only thing that kills me on the Patagonia is that it does not have a half zip in the front, which I have appreciated while panting for air and sweating buckets on the uphill stretches of the trail.

Any options that you can think of for me?

Would like a Hoody, but might have to settle for something without a hood, which would be fine for summertime use.

Sucks when gear runs out….have to start thinking and spending money. :)

-Tony

Fitz Travels

@fitztravels

I wore mine yesterday in 90 degree weather. Felt fine. Back sweat where my backpack was at.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

If you are willing to forgo the hood (I'm not). The smartwool microweight half zip should do the job. It is lighter than the Indie.

http://www.smartwool.com/men-s-nts-micro-150-zip-t-4.html

They rate it 150.

Widely available. I use this piece a lot as a base layer in winter…when my next layers have hoods.

It has no silly features (gel pockets, etc). But no thumb holes either :(

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Would a Patagonia Merino 1 LS Crew be too hot for JMT in September? Because that was my current plan."

I have a couple of the Patagonia silkweight Merino crews. Based on wearing these every day for a while now, and my experience in the Sierra, but not on the two together (let you know in a week or two) I guessing these will be a perfect match as a hiking baselayer there in the summer.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Hartley,

Thanks for all of the insight on the hoodies with other options for me to consider.

Sounds like you love the hoody as much as I do.

Gotta love the simplicity of the whole thing without any of the extras that are just not needed.

However, I have to point out that Eric has generously offered to PIF and give me his Ibex Woolies Zip T Neck that he is not using.

Man, I really do love this community!

Still, I will check out what you and others have suggested because I would like to have a light weight hoody option for when it is cooler.

-Tony

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Dear Mark:

Merino is not hot! Sunscreen is hot! Polyester is hot!

"Crew"…how will you protect the back of your neck? Hat? OK. Crew and baseball cap? You better confirm just how high the crew comes up and just how long your hair is!

Patagonia's merino 1 won't ever be as hot as sunscreen or polyester! The more merino layers the better provided they feel good on top of each other.

Slightly heavier merinos may actually be cooler than lighter ones in brutal sun.

You can rinse in stream and dry over night with the lightweight ones. They aren't cold when damp like polyester (which of course has fancy names these days).

If you have a Patagonia merino you like, awesome. I didn't mean to diss Patagonia completely. You order and you never know what you will get…what shape the garment will be, etc. I think men are designing the bras now! And you can always send it back. So they are not all bad!

Ibex woolie is a nice gift! It is a piece you will probably use even if you go with a looser top for hot sun. It can get cold at night in September (I hope I didn't confuse threads!)…really cold. I am thinking in terms of lighter bags and more clothes. Don't know exactly where you are but I use a "bag"!

This is fun. But I need to start running my ass off and loading my gps for adventure and not debating textiles. LOL

We are procrastinating. It is so easy to get carried away on this forum! Especially me. Better than facebook.

One last question. I can wear merino all day, top and bottom. Merino bras and panties! I can sleep in merino tops but not long bottoms. They are all prickly at night! Is it just me? I can sleep in merino top but only synthetic bottom…no not there…it's the legs! Ever heard of this?

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Dear Mark:

Merino is not hot! Sunscreen is hot! Polyester is hot! "

Thanks for educating me. Especially about the sunscreen and the hat and all the rest. Maybe cut back a smidge on the espresso or something. LOL

FYI I also have and wear the Ibex indie hoodie, and the similar merino hoodie from MEC. I have hiked in the conditions Tony asked about, and with some of the garments he asked about. My 2 cents for Tony is that, for me, the merino hodies would be too hot a lot of the time, and always take a SW crew as well. Who the hell knows why, but once I get fully warmed up I the ibex goes back in the pack. I find the hoodie (or anything similar) generally end ups layered over something lighter in the late afternoon, or at stops, and for sleeping. The "something lighter" is what I usually end up most comfortable in most of the day, above about 60F, specifically while exerting myself. And yes up to now it has been a SW capilene crew. And yes Hartley, I manage to take care of my neck via other means, but thanks for the concern.

It will be interesting to see if the SW merino crew (the exact one Tony and Erik were talking about) is an improvement for me, but as I mentioned haven't had a chance to try it specifically in the sierra yet, just here on the coast in 70-80 weather. I was hoping it might be the best of both worlds, at least for me. FWIW, I even like the silt color, and wear them at work.

However, I am also smart enough to know different people feel comfortable in different things in the same conditions, and not to pontificate too much on the issue. Just another data point for Tony to digest.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to come off like that. I don't generally, preface my opinions with IMO, or I think, unless it is a delicate subject. Obviously, the comments are only my opinions and preferences.

I find that Patagonia Silkweight Capilene (I have the stretch and non stretch versions in long sleeve) is very cold when wet. It is great to keep the sun off on a late afternoon hill run but I turn around to go downhill and the sun goes behind the mountain and burr. I hate how it sticks to the skin when wet too…brrr. I bring layers to put on but I usually whip off that cold silkweight piece first or I'm still freezing. I do not find that it wicks. Now lightweight merino gets wet, but doesn't feel so cold against skin and I can throw another layer over it and not feel cold…the wet merino actually starts to dry…or wick moisture to the next layers.

SW Capilene smells in the pits after a single use and still smells after it has been through the washer. And that's with daily showers.

I have not tried the Merino 1 in years. It was not a good product a few years ago. The women's version had a lace like design with holes through the fabric…so much for sun protection. It was handwash and shape to dry. The new version is a merino blend with 35 polyester.

What is FWIW? Another garment? Always interested.

How do people get sunscreen off on a walk like the JMT? I have a hard enough time at home. I use it when I swim, And I need a buff and a lot of shower gel and warm water to remove it. A real good sudsing!

After couple weeks of walking with pack, scrubbing, wringing and hanging in the sun the Indie Hoody is lighter weight merino than when it was purchased.

A similar phenomenon occurs with Icebreaker Tech T with use, I just pitched a couple of them that were thread bear and full of holes and replaced them with new ones…they are longer now and a bit wider in the waist.

Peace.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

For those that have used both the Patagonia Merino 1 and Merino 2 baselayers, is the Merino 2 zip neck worth the additional weight in terms of venting and perhaps durability?

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

It's not a goretex shell. The fabric breathes! P Merino 2 is a heavier gauge. P merino 1 sw is a poly-merino blend — it is 35% polyester.

If you want a 150 merino mock turtle with a half zip, Smartwool makes it. It is 100% merino. Smartwool Microweight long sleeve half zip. Readily available. It comes in light grey.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools