Topic

Yosemite are advise

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Yosemite are advise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

Hi, Here is my trip so far. July 1st through August 1st. I am leaving my car near devils postpile monument in Mammoth and hiking with a friend toward Iva Bell hot springs for a week. I am going to explore and do my own thing while he works on his novel he is writing. Then we are going back to resupply and are going to hike from Devils postpile down into yosemite valley. From there my friend is going to bus back to the Mammoth area and I am going to pick up a resupply box in the valley and head out solo for a week. I was thinking of heading toward bear valley and bear lake but I am open to good ideas. Then I am back into the valley to pick up another resupply for another solo week. So basically I have two solo weeks with a resupply in the middle to do whatever I want. I like to avoid crowds and I like to hike. I am comfortable with 15 to 20 miles per day. 15 is my max if I am climbing and descending all day but with flat or rolling elevation gains 20 is fine. I prefer loops instead of the same trail out and back (but I am happy either way) and I love to swim. At the end of my 2 solo weeks I will bus back to my car near devils postpile. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks, Terry

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Hi,

Which Bear Valley/Bear Lake are you speaking of? For some reason I am not recalling where that is.

Are you set on doing those final 2 weeks in Yosemite? Or are you open to exploring other parts of the High Sierra? (Example – you could spend of those weeks doing the North Lake – South Lake loop out of Bishop, thus seeing parts of Kings Canyon NP.)

Resupplying in Yosemite Valley will be quite the culture shock with the insane crowds.

– Elizabeth

terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'll check out the kings canyon areas you mentioned. I am not really set on anything in particular but to be on foot in beautiful places and resupply every week. And I just extended my trip by one more week so I will have 3 weeks to explore solo. The bear valley lake is on the way up toward the Emigrant.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I would highly recommend the Kings Canyon area over the JMT in Yosemite. There are too many cool places to list both on and off trail. I have often wondered what a "thru hike" duration trip through the Seirra would look like. You get to create a mini version of that.

terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

Thanks for the advice. I will get a map of the kings canyon area and check it out. I would need to find a post office for resupply but maybe I can work it out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I would highly recommend the Kings Canyon area over the JMT in Yosemite. There are too many cool places to list both on and off trail."

+1 By far the better option, IMO.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools