Topic

220g Dyneema-X pack – firstish MYOG

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 220g Dyneema-X pack – firstish MYOG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Hi all,

I've been working on a MYOG for the last little while. Using the MLD 2013 Newt for inspiration I originally threw it together for a hike in February. It worked well and came in at about 180g but I wasn't satisfied with the closure, the comfort of the shoulder straps or the lack of a pocket to put small things in. So lately I've been modifying it, adding a burly piece of thin PVC coated webbing (originally an underfoot strap for an STS Gaiter), an external pocket with water resistant zip and a piece of fabric to change the angle of the shoulder straps. I also originally made the allowance for the roll-top system too short, so I had to add a piece of fabric for a total of 3 pieces, but originally designed with 2 pieces only.

Final result: approx 20-25L with 4 rolls of the closure, 219g and super comfy with an external water resistant pocket, all seams at least double stitched. I think the new features are worth the 40g weight penalty. On the original hike I had about 5L of water plus clothes in it with no troubles. The design is pretty much perfect for me although possibly the access for the pocket could be re-worked to be more weather proof (maybe a velcro storm flap). I'm already planning on making a new one out of Zpacks' cuben/hybrid.

I've decided to try and finish it by taping tenacious tape over the seams. Hopefully this will both waterproof it and protect the seam edges… don't know for sure if it will work but I am willing to experiment. Let me know what you think.

Pack1
    pack2
    pack3

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Excellent job, Jeremy! Looks awesome!

Matt

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Thanks Matt!

Nicholas Pappas
    Spectator

@njpca

Very nice work. I just wrapped up the G4 kit as my first MYOG backpack — will likely make a dyneema one this winter. How was the dyneema x to work with?

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Cheers Nicolas. Being my first myog I don't have much to compare it with but it was very good to work with. It is fairly stiff and the individual fibers are strong, so it's quite forgiving when you stuff up and put stitch holes somewhere they shouldn't be.

john w cochran
    BPL Member

@ciphoto

Locale: South East

Very nice. Eventually I'll get my skills up and attempt a pack.

Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

Well done!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools