Topic

Very Pleasant Tent from Six Moon Designs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Very Pleasant Tent from Six Moon Designs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

Really like my new skyscape. Took forever to receive it, but that's the nature of small companies with hot products. Ron and Brandon delivered what they promised, and there were no holes in the net and no loose threads. Just sayin'

However, there's a clip of some sort hanging down from the strut. What is it for? The porch perhaps? If it's 'just there' I'm gonna snip it off. Anybody know?

SMD is a local company to me, so I support them. I've been happy so far.

David Ure

@familyguy

If the company is local, why not call them?

I suspect it is to run a clothes line.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I like the design of the Skyscape series. And I think that they made a wise decision to offer that in a variety of fabrics, to tailor the design to various market needs and price ranges.
    I'm currently a very happy owner of a SMD Gatewood Cape. I plan on ordering the matching Serenity net tent for it, probably later today.

I personally think that SMD has a really good set of designs, and I absolutely LOVE my GC. If they made a GC in cuben fiber, I'd buy that in a NY second.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

if its the one on the outside its for the porch, if its the one on the inside its for a light

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

The buying experience was great too. I called and ordered had it a few days later. That's when they were in stock. Bought a scout first (same easy transaction) to be sure I would like the design and I did. Both tents came in under weight spec after seam sealing. The trekker is 23.5 oz. seam sealed. For bug season it's my go-to., I realize its a hybrid, but it doesnt feel like one. A complete tent and inner are hard to be had in that weight range without going to cuben. Surprised we don't hear more about them.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

The Wild Oasis and the Lunar Solo. The Lunar Solo is still my favorite single-wall tent.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

+1 on loving the Skyscape and having a good experience with SMD. I liked the Skyscape Trekker so much I bought the X. The cuben does pitch a bit higher up than the sil, but the weight savings is substantial.

David Ure

@familyguy

"The cuben does pitch a bit higher up than the sil"

Why is that?

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Which one is the preferred tent and why?

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Any problems getting a tight pitch with the lunar solo? Online videos don't seem to show this very well. Not knowing how tight the pitch can be is the only thing keeping me from ordering one. That and no current stock!
    Thanks,
    BJ

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

Well, I did call SMD. They said the dangling plastic clip is just to hang stuff from. I don't know why it's such a specialized shape, but hey. Now I can snip it off.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

""The cuben does pitch a bit higher up than the sil"

Why is that?""

I wish I knew. I suspect the cuben version is cut slightly differently due to the fabric or maybe it's cut the same and just pitches different. I've decided it's not a big deal, but I can get the fly on my Trekker touching the ground if I want, although I usually pitch it 3" – 4" up for ventilation With the X, the best I can do is 7" – 9" inches off the ground. I've tried everything I can but that's the best I can do without having the tent pitched so low that the mesh touches the ground. Unless the rain was coming sideways, it's fine like that. I do love the tent.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools