Topic

Groudsheet Polycro/window insulation film kit $5 at Walmart

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Groudsheet Polycro/window insulation film kit $5 at Walmart

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

My lovely girlfriend was in Walmart today in Taylors, SC and she saw a window insulation kit on sale for $5 from $11.47 so she picked one up. I believe it is very similar if not the same as the polycro groundsheet stuff gossamer gear sells. Not sure if this is a Taylors only promotion, but it might be worth having a look if you go to walmart.

I expect they are selling it off cheap because no sane person would be insulating their windows at this time of the year, which works out nicely for us insane backpackers. The kit has enough to make probably 6 groundsheets and comes with two rolls of double sided tape which might be useful for some other project.

For those who have not used this stuff before you can add stake points by taping duct tape to the corners and then hole punching it (this is what I do at least)

product info can be found here (sorry, links not working):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17133826?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That's the stuff and a great deal for that many square feet.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Are you guys sure it is the same stuff? And can you verify the weight of it (oz / sq yd)? If it's the same stuff, it's a great deal.

I'm curious where Gossamer Gear sources theirs.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've read posts after posts "believing" that window film is the same as polycryro. Can anyone with experience with both materials vouch for this alleged sameness?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I have used both and they are both shrink film,they look,feel and last similarly to me.Here is what it says in the product description at Gossamer Gear.:Note: Since these sheets are made from shrink film they will shrink slightly when exposed to extreme heat. We tested these sheets in heat this summer and found that the sheets shrink 1" to 2" (3 to 5 cm.) in width and up to 5" (13 cm.) in length

Charles Tufankjian

@ctufankjian

Locale: New Hampshire

I took advantage of this deal and was able to get the sliding door kit for $5. Awesome!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Like Anna, I can confirm that the window film looks, feels, and performs just like the GG groundsheet.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

"I expect they are selling it off cheap because no sane person would be insulating their windows at this time of the year, which works out nicely for us insane backpackers."

If your home uses air conditioning as much as heating, then keeping the windows insulated in the summer cooling season is, technically speaking, the "sane" thing to do.

The problem is the inconvenience of removing the shrinkwrap in the shoulder seasons to open windows. Of course you have many square feet of perfectly usable ground cloths at your disposal!

Matt

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

R Banks
    BPL Member

@eddaka

Locale: everywhere i guess

I always wanted to lighten up from my tyvek ground sheet, but never wanted to pay for the shipping from gossamer gear. Thanks guys! Even if they don't last more than a couple trips $5 is a steal! I can make more than one too.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I got some window film off Amazon, $6 with shipping for a very large 120×84 sheet.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“If you get the outdoor rated window kit it wont shrink. The indoor version is made to shrink.”

But ‘outdoor’ is about 50% heavier and packs up bigger. The indoor stuff lasts long anyway. Just cut and plan accordingly for shrinkage. Or shrink it first and then cut.

-Barry
    -The mountains were made for Tevas

Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

Just found this at my local Walmart for $3! Hard to pass on it if even just to beta test!

Charles Tufankjian

@ctufankjian

Locale: New Hampshire

Wow, they're giving it away. I'm gonna drape myself in this stuff.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

5'x17' plastic sheet, can cut to (5) 3'x5' peices. It's .7 mil, and a total of 5.1 ounces, per the front of the box. That would be slightly over an ounce for each 3'x5' peice cut. And you get the double-sided tape, outlet foam seals, and some weather strip. They also had a $7 kit that was for (10) 3'x5' windows. Fairview (Troutdale) Walmart.

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

Glad to hear that people are taking advantage of these kits.

All you need is some gorilla tape and a hole punch (for stake eyelets) and you can make a poor man's cuben tarp which gives you a stunning view of the heavens at night (goldgear style). As an added bonus, you are much more likely to catch a glimpse of a bear traipsing its way past your tent at night. Not sure if I'd rather sleep in blissful ignorance with the world outside obscured by silnylon though. he he

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools