Topic

Calling all Coleman F1 Ultralight Owners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Calling all Coleman F1 Ultralight Owners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul in Texas
    BPL Member

@hiking8388

Locale: North Texas

Late last year I picked up an F1 Ultralight, and on my first test run noticed (smelled) that it was leaking gas after being screwed down to the canister.

So I dug up an empty canister to fiddle with, and noticed that when screwing it down I felt metal-on-metal before I felt the (internal) o-ring compress.

After some inspection, I noticed what I would describe as a "manufacturing tolerance issue" (which is illustrated in the first photo below), so I returned it and ordered another one.

With the second stove, while I still don't feel the o-ring compress, I don't smell gas leaking either; or at least I don't with the two canisters that I have on hand. I'm concerned that I might with other canisters (given some manufacturing variation).

Here is a photo which illustrates what I think the problem is.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Since the o-ring is at the bottom of this threaded insert, pressing the insert too far into the body will prevent the o-ring from making contact (with the canister).

The gap on my second stove is just under 1.0mm.
    On my first stove, this gap was just over 1.0 mm.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Question: For all the F1 Ultralight owners out there, does your stove have this gap???

– PLR –

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Paul, just measured my F1 and there is a gap of less than a mm. I've been through a number of Snowpeak 110 g canisters and haven't yet had a problem.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention (great illustrations, by the way). I'll make sure I test my canisters before heading out.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

I actually have 2 of these stoves. One I bought 2 or 3 years ago and the other purchased within the last 4 months. both have the gap. The older one is just under a millimeter and uniform all the way around. The newer one varies from about 0.5 mm on one side to 1mm on the opposite side. However, like Dondo, I have been using Snow Peak canisters and both stoves seal fine. I'll keep an eye out for problems. Thanks.
    -Mark

Paul in Texas
    BPL Member

@hiking8388

Locale: North Texas

Thanks Dondo and Mark for the feedback.

Both of you are using Snow Peak canisters, so now I'm curious as to why? Is it because of weight, price, performance, availability ???

-PLR-

dennis hoff

@dehoff

Locale: The Frozen Tundra

I have one of these stoves, and the gap is well under one mm.

I use MSR canisters, and have had no issues.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

>>Both of you are using Snow Peak canisters, so now I'm curious as to why? Is it because of weight, price, performance, availability ???

Paul, in my case, the issue is mostly availability and price. The Snowpeak 110g canisters are the cheapest ($3) at the Denver REI flagship store which is twenty minutes down the bike path from my home. The weight and size are nice bonuses. I haven't conducted any performance tests on the various canisters so that one remains a question mark for me. The 110g size works because most of my trips are for four nights or fewer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools