Topic

Adding more Down to a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adding more Down to a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Evening folks,

I have a WM Alpinelite (rated to 20f) that I am thinking of getting WM to overstuff it as I already have a 20F quilt.

A couple of months back I used it successfully down to -13f with mid weight baffled down clothing and was fine (forecast was for 5f).

I called Wm and they can add 2oz to increase the rating to 15f, the guy on the phone could not comment on adding more down than that.

Can anyone comment on if this is worth doing, I already have a PHD winter bag but much prefer the roomier cut of the Allpinelite.

Cheers,

Stephen

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I had my WM Megalite "overstuffed" by them and now it looks like the Michelin Man. I can no longer shake down from the top to the bottom, one of Megalite's original virtues. Instead of an honest 30 F. I now have a good 20 F. bag.

With my down filled mummy shaped "topper" that fastens with Velcro to the top half of my bag I think I can go to about 10 F. with only a light long john suit and a light balaclava. We'll see this winter. Of course I will need a winter mattress like my Thermarest Trail Pro.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Eric,

I kind of guessed you would reply, as I recalled your bag got a makeover.

I think it might be worth while me calling Wm again.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Just so long as you know that going in, Stephen. :-)

David Ure

@familyguy

I bet the stitching is better and the lining doesn't have holes in it. I could be wrong, however.

Andrew Manies
    Spectator

@amanies

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi Stephen,

It's my understanding that the Alpinlite should receive 3 oz of overfill if you send it back, at least according to their website as listed under Sleeping Bag Overfills:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=pricing

Otherwise, I'd read that the Alpinlite was EN-rated to 15.9° F, so another 3 oz of down would probably take it to 10° F comfortably. If you continue to wear down clothing inside the bag (assuming the overfill doesn't reduce your ability to layer), I'd guess this would allow you to wear it in sub-zero temperatures consistently.

You might ask to speak with Gary S. the next time you call, as he's the boss and would likely be able to explain the options to you.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Stuart,

That's what I thought, so that would make it about 80$ or so, it might be worth it.

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I might have had drank too much beer but I am not sure what you mean.

Hi Andrew,

That a good idea about speaking to Gary, I had not thought about that, upgrading it to a 10F bag could be a very feasibile option as I would have a 20f quilt and 10f and -20f bags.

Cheers all,

Stephen

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Just spoke to WM, the most they can add is 3oz and it will add F.

I am not going to bother to get it done.

Andrew Manies
    Spectator

@amanies

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi Stephen,

How much degree difference did they claim it would make? I assume by the tone of your message it wasn't much. Remember they tend to be conservative over there.

Still, with the cost of shipping to/from and the cost of adding down, you might be better off just wearing your existing down clothing when the temp dips.

Best,
    A

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Andrew,

My apologies I should of said it added 5F, I probably think it would add 10f though.

I think I mentioned in an earlier post I used it down to -13F, combined I has about 1000g of down.

Cheers,

Stephen

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I sent in my Mitylite for overfill. Paid $25. I did not specify how much overfill. It is now nearly 6 ounces heavier. They charged for 2. Return postage was paid out of the $25. Got it back in two weeks as well. I'm happy. I don't think they are making any money this way. Just repeat customers.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

The price is definiltley reasonable Ken.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!