Topic

Mammoth, Ansel Adams, and Yosemite for the whole month of July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Mammoth, Ansel Adams, and Yosemite for the whole month of July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

Hi, I am spending the whole month of July backpacking these three areas. I am considering the temperatures and what level of insulation to bring. Does anyone have summer experience backpacking in these areas. It looks like I will be between 5,000 and 10,000 feet the whole time. I am mostly only questioning my sleeping bag choices and jacket choices. I saw on weather underground the 2012 July averages for the town of Mammoth (elevation about 8,000) to be highs in the low 80's and lows in the low 40's with true low of 33 and true high of 91. I thought it might be good to get some personal feedback from someone with experience in this area in addition to the stats. I currently use a 30 degree quilt (Katabatic palisade) in a MLD superlight bivy with a Cricket tarp and a prolight pad. Using this setup I am comfortable down to 45 degrees at 3,000 – 4,000 feet in Big Sur (where I hike mostly) if I wear smartwool lightweight top and bottom with wind shirt and wind pants and Patagonia ulralight hoody. So you can see I am a cold sleeper. I am considering either:
    1. just use this set up and who cares if I get cold
    2. use this clothing selection and buy a katabatic 15 degree quilt (sawatch)
    3. substitute my Montane Nitro jacket (much warmer) and add my montbell ultralight down pants but still use the palisade quilt

Any thought based on your experience in these areas? Thanks, Terry

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

You will have sub freezing , 90 degrees and everything in between. I would count on multiple nights at or below freezing if you sleep at elevation. If your setup is only good to 45 then I suspect you will be cold. By the way, I'm jealous.

terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

I appreciate that very clear advice. This website rocks.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I lived there for a couple of years. July could also bring a daily rainstorm, emphasis on the word "storm". The great news is that you will not see too many people once you get a mile away from the road and the rainbows are as beautiful as any I have ever seen.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

When and where will you be in Yosemite? I'll be there July 19-28.

terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

I'll be there from approx. July 2nd till August 8th or 10th. I am starting with a friend over in the Inyo and won't be arriving in Yosemite till about the 16th or 18th. Then I will be doing 1 week loops with a resupply at the post office between each loop for 2 weeks. Then I will pick up my last resupply and hike back to the Inyo for the last week to get back to my car.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I agree with Malto. I spent two summers in Yellowstone working at Ild Faithful and lake. I did not have to hike high above OF Lodge to camp on snow. By late July it might be gone. 1993 – I got 10" of snow and 28* Fourth of July on the mountains that during winter comprise the slopes of Big Sky resort.

terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

Yeah, I decided to go with a warmer quilt than my usual 3 season choice (30 degree palisade). I ordered the 15 degree sawatch and I am going to bring my warm down jacket (montane nitro). Since I tend to get cold easily especially after hiking all day I want to make sure I can sleep well. Thanks for your advice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools