Topic

Flat Tops Wilderness help needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Flat Tops Wilderness help needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Hey BPL. My Fiance and I are gonna be in Glenwood Springs for the weekend and want to go backpacking in the Flat Tops. My Fiance is new to backpacking so we can't do anything too epic. I'm thinking 5-8 miles a day tops. I'm looking for a decent loop or out-and-back that is on the south end of the wilderness (closest to Glenwood). Any ideas?

Thanks! I usually buy a TrailsIllustraited Map and plan from that, but I don't have time to pick one up for this trip.

Thanks!

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

I suppose we could just hike in White River National Forest and don't need to make it all the way up to Flat Tops if anyone knows a cool hike closer to Glenwood.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Not really the distance you were asking about, but how about Hanging Lake as a day hike? Good steep climb to get the lungs working, and a great view at the lake itself. Just get there early as it's a popular trail.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

I do love Hanging Lake, but we've done it a few times. She is a big day hiker, but is just getting used to hiking with the pack on multidays. We are looking for 10-20 mile two day camping trip. Any other ideas would be great!

Thanks!

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

No worries, Jon. I'll be watching for suggestions too as that's a part of the state I haven't explored on multiday trips yet. When you get back let us know.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

My first backpacking trip was in the south flat tops. We drove in on coffee pot road just up from dostero. Past heart lake and all the way to the Meadows trailhead. We hiked up the valley to the Nichols creek trail on the west side of the white river. Took the oyster lake trail to the north and camped in lost solar park. The next day we headed NE to the doe creek trail. Then down and back to the trailhead.

Great area and trip. Lots of elk in the area and once on top, the hiking is relatively flat. There is also an outfitter with cabins a mile to the west of the trailhead if you want a rustic stay.

There are many more trails in the area and some great off trail hiking. I have been back twice since.

It would be best to have a vehicle with slightly more clearance than a Prius on that road because it is rather rough.

PM me if you would like some more info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools