Topic

EXODUS sandals….who’s in?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear EXODUS sandals….who’s in?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Ryan French

@lifegearguy

@Daniel & all – Thanks all for the kind words and the interest. I am super excited to start ordering materials next week and getting started once they come in.

@BER
    – just re-read the posts to make sure I am not missing anything and saw your note about timing so wanted to shed some light. My plan is to place the orders for all of the materials on Tuesday (after receiving funds from BPLers Monday/Tuesday via PayPal). I would expect based on previous experience that the materials would be in by Tuesday the following week (puts us around 6/4/2013). Once I receive them, I will get started making as many pair as I can as my second job during the evenings, and working around my kids t-ball games, lol (I work as an engineer during the day).

I am hoping to get them out as soon as possible once everything is in, especially for these initial builds so that I can get some good, constructive feedback ASAP and continue to improve the design as needed.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

by the way…the sizing information/tutorial is now live on the XO site here:

http://exodussandals.com/sizing

…hopefully it is clear enough and works out well, if not we can improvise.

Hopefully I can get a better set of hands and feet in the future (i.e. my wife's), but for now mine will have to do. Sorry in advance…spent 3 hours cleaning up a fallen pine tree in our backyard before taking the photos today….but did it all in the XO's :).

Take care,
    Ryan

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

My wife and I want in too.

I've been thinking on this for some time and am very intrigued by your take on it, gotta try it out.

-Tim

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Scan of foot tracing and PP sent.

Also sent a question regarding placement of the small toe strap. In your instructions it shows the strap placement right over the 5th MTP joint where many people have a bit of a bulge. Does it rub there? Would it be OK to have that strap back behind the MTP joint? Or be less secure?

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

I am in. Sent an email with a couple of questions

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

@Tim – Thanks. Would be glad to make a pair for your and your wife. Just make sure to provide some feedback so I know what I am doing wrong or right ;).

@Ber
    – I sent some answers and hopefully it helps. But to clarify, I will drop the strap on the outer side of the foot near the last toe south a bit to get it away from that area, and to get it a little closer to the side pad of the foot. Thanks for pointing that out.

@Samuel
    – your earlier question regarding losing the toe loop = no go. Tried it today and can definitely confirm that the from of the sandal wants to flop way too much without that XO toe lock. If you send me a pair of your socks I can find a seamstress to cut and sew the big toe for you if you are interested ;).

@All – my paypal address is ryanfrench1 [at] gmail [dot] com. Can't wait to get all the supplies ordered and get moving on these. I am anticipating some wonderful feedback from everyone and really and curious more than anything if everyone will enjoy them as much as I do. Once you send the payment via paypal, please email me the tracing as well so that I can add you to the spreadsheet!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

If its not too late I want in!! Looks great!

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

@Jen – it's not too late! For this first run, I wanted to make sure I knew what needed to be ordered and how many pairs I will be making so that I can give accurate production times. Thanks for the interest.

For those jumping in, here's a quick overview/reminder…

1. $35 includes CONUS shipping, any other location I will try to accommodate by adding the delta on the shipping to get them to you (please add 3% if not using PayPal gift option)

2. Send money via PayPal, ryanfrench1 [at] gmail [dot] com by tonight so that I can add your name to the log

3. Go to http://exodussandals.com/sizing for directions on how to trace your largest foot, what information to include on the tracing and scan/ take a clear photo and send to exodussandals [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thanks again everyone for the positive support!

Ryan

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

alright guys and gals, at my wife's direction, we will let you choose the color of your straps for this initial build. So here are the color options…

standard color = foliage
    foliage strap color
    (link on XO site – http://goo.gl/9Yfti)

red, black, white, olive (OD) & gold
    strap colors minus foliage
    (link on XO site – http://goo.gl/gqeIC)

So you can get any of these color straps on your XO's. One thing to note is, if you are interested in a completely hyrdophobic sandal, choose the white straps and get yourself a pair of XO amphibs. The white is tubular polyester (instead of the tubular nylon for all of the other colors)so it will not absorb water like the nylon.

My personal preference is the foliage, my $0.02…

Thanks!
    Ryan

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Canoe trip down the Shenandoah River once we get these …

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

Thanks, Tracy… Got it!

That sounds almost as fun as a canoe trip on The Tahquamenon River ;)…

Ryan

mark cole
    BPL Member

@marklivia

I'm in for a pair.

Chris Bowman

@jcbowman

Locale: ORF

I'll take a pair.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Ryan, the foliage would be fine for my sandals.
    Looking forward to the finished product!

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

@Chris – thanks!

@Stephen
    – thanks for the update. once the tracings and paypal come through I will add everything to my log. I think you will really like this color as I haven't found anything (jeans, patagonia baggies, river water, Lake Erie & Superior water, mud, sand) that this color doesn't match up well with ;).

Already order the buckles based on the number of people that said they were in (with some extras). Will wait to see whose PayPal payments I have in at the end of tonight to order the Vibram rubber, since it get's pretty expensive. Thanks again for the interest everyone.

Ryan

Clint N.
    Spectator

@cnewitt

Locale: Utah

I'm in for two pair. I'll send tracings and payment later tonight.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Payment and foot tracing sent. Looking forward to giving them a try.

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

@Clint & Richard – thanks guys…greatly appreciate you giving them a try. Excited to getting the good the bad and the ugly from everyone on these.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Alright Ryan…I sent you an email as well…but you seem to be checking here a lot, too. Please note my color preference as FOLIAGE, despite what I actually wrote on my tracing.

Good luck to you!!

James Townsend
    BPL Member

@j21a2t89

Locale: South Wales

Email sent for 1 pair. Thanks

Dustin Smith

@dsmith87

Locale: Bethesda, MD

Email sent. Pretty excited to try a pair of these

jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

Locale: Katahdin

E-mail and paypal sent for 1 pair. Thanks!

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

Thanks, guys…glad that you're in!

Also, was thinking about everyone that expressed interest and the fact that a few haven't sent tracings or PayPal, yet. Because of this (and the fact that I said Monday/Tuesday), I will extend the initial buid cutoff until tomorrow night. I will continue log everyone's information and order materials on Wednesday. I went ahead and ordered some initial foliage strapping and buckles ahead of time, but will order the rubber on Wednesday. Hope this helps a bit.

Also, for future (after materials are ordered), I will provide most of my production timing updates, and where we are at via twitter as well a here as much as possible. twitter is just a little easier to make frequent updates. If interested, you can find us @exodussandals (twitter.com/exodussandals).

Thanks again for all of the amazing support. Looking forward to making some sandals for all of you.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

Ryan,

Seems like there has been some good interest. Ballpark figure, how many pairs are you thinking for this initial production run, if you don't mind sharing?

Greg

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

@Greg – I was expecting around 20 pair or so, which is on top of about 10 pair my family and close friends are interested in. It looks like so far we are at 23 paid and a few extra interested from BPL.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools