Topic

2nds sil-nylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2nds sil-nylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I was wondering what people's experience with 2nds sil-nylon has been. I've only ever bought materials from Ray Jardine's company so I've only used first quality. I'd like to make a teepe tent but don't want to spend twice as much on the nylon. Are some online stores better than others? I've heard Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics has good stuff.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I have not had any problems with seconds. One fabric had a slight discoloration, ie. stain, almost not visible. I use thru-hiker.com, The owner will quickly respond to your questions. Another source is questoutfitters in FL.
    Read Aaron's post below entitled "New Momentum in gear list" for another reference to Thru-hiker.com.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

A local gear manufacturer (Empire Canvas Works) had a fabric garage sale a couple weeks ago so I headed out there and got some smokin' deals on a bunch of fabric. He saw that I was grabbing all his scrap silnylon from the scrap-by-the-pound bin so he told me he had it on the roll for $4 a yard. When I inquired to whether it was firsts or seconds he told me that there is a common misconception about this. He said that true silnylon firsts are almost all snapped up by parachute manufacturers – an application requiring the absolute perfect of materials. For use in tarps, tents and other similar outdoor gear pursuits he felt that silnylon seconds were more than adequate in terms of their strength and their ability to shed water.

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

Yep,
    2nds are what mostly everyone uses and its half the price of firsts. I've never been able to even find a blemish in the 2nds.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools