Topic

JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    B Robertson

@bubbarobertson

Locale: Central Valley

Hey BPL.

This is actually my first post to the forum. I'm a once again backpacker, and would consider myself a beginner. I was in scouting ~15 years ago but have been removed from any sort of camping/backpacking since then.

I am doing a 9 day hike of half of the JMT. North to south, I plan to end in VVR. I plan to resupply at Tuolumne and Reds Meadow

I'm looking for feedback on my gear set up for the trip.
    I love the site, and look forward to learning a great deal and becoming more experienced in lightweight hiking

Link:
    backpacking gear

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I tried to look at your list but needed a password to access it on Google Docs. You might want to try another way of posting the list.

B Robertson

@bubbarobertson

Hey Charles,

Thanks for the heads up, I forgot to turn the spreadsheet public.

I included the updated link above

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

These are a few things you might consider leaving at home:
    silk liner – doesn't add much warmth and you are already bringing silk pjs
    deodorant – after nine days on the trail you are not going to smell very good anyway
    shovel – not needed, your boot works fine
    paracord – you have a bear can so you don't need it for bear bagging

And maybe consider bringing:
    pot
    cup
    a bottle that is more comfortable to drink out of than a platy
    more esbit tabs as you might not be able to buy them along the way
    map
    compass
    sun hat
    sun glasses

Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

Locale: Michigan

-Are you bringing two packs?

-Does the clothing include what you are wearing or is this all in the pack? If in the pack, you have two shirts, plus your PJs, plus whatever you are wearing. Sounds like a bit much.

-The bivy seems heavy

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I agree with Katy
    Making those changes would help. Clothing does seem excessive but I stay cold so I can understand the clothing.
    If you have some loose cash you might change out the bivy and bag for lighter options.

Just remember there are lots of life long ultra lighters here. Some are course in their remarks,some are nice. But all have something to offer!
    Your carring this gear so have a great trip.

B Robertson

@bubbarobertson

Thanks for the replies.

I will eliminate the silk liner. I am a little worried about warmth through the night, but I will be doing a couple trial runs next month and in July to give me a gauge for warmth.

I will probably eliminate the deodorant too.

The list only includes clothes that will be in the pack. I did not include clothing that I will wear on the first day. My thought is that I will wash and dry a shirt, shorts, underwear, and socks every night(or every other night) to keep a rotation.

The bivy is larger than your standard bivy. It is 8 feet in length, it has space up at the head to store my pack and other items so the weight reflects the larger size.

I recently purchased the sleeping bag, I'm on a limited budget, and in hindsight I realize that I probably could have purchased a lighter bag for similar money. I understand that I could save a pound of weight by changing this out. I'll have to see what my funds are like prior to the hike. I would love to make my own bag, so that might be an option, but for now I going to plan on sticking with the sleeping bag I have currently.

The shovel is for when nature calls, but maybe I will get rid of it and dig a hole with my heel.

My esbit stove measurement includes a 2.5 cup pot for cooking. I also have a jetboil that I may bring instead but it is 21oz as opposed to the 8oz set for the esbit set.

I plan on running my sawyer filter inline of the hose in my water bladder. I will be drinking 95% of my water directly from the camelback bladder. My thought is that I would bring the 1L sawyer bag for retrieving water at night, or as extra storage to put into my camelback bladder.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

B Robertson

@bubbarobertson

Thanks Anna,

I really enjoyed all of the video's. I especially liked skurka's presentation.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Anna,

I really appreciated the videos. They make me re-think my gear list.

I can see that some of my choices, like my original single wall TT Moment, are paying for conveniance with a bit more weight. But I REALLY want bug and critter protection. Just one mosquito can ruin a night's sleep. And the protection of the Moment is usually less weight than a tarp with floored bugnet.

**It's all choices** For ex. I own and have used a 3/4 length Thermarest and a full length Ridgerest but I now use a full length Prolite at 4 oz. heavier than a NeoAir X-Lite is my compromise.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools