Topic

Best lenses for hiking in Glacier?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Best lenses for hiking in Glacier?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    adam mcconnell

@amac

I have an upcoming trip to GNP with the family. The primary purpose is the daily hiking adventures, but I plan to weigh myself down with my 6D and accompanying lenses. I've been to RMNF and Yellowstone. The wildlife encounters were fairly close at both locations. Only the grizz encounters at Yellowstone required more than 300mm to fill the lens.

I am looking for some insight as to how close the wildlife encounters will be in GNP and what would be the best lens to have as my primary mount? I have a 24-105 and 70-200f4. I was planning to rent a 100-400, if needed. Advice and insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks

adam

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

You might well get close to some animals, but I'd plan for opportunities for more distant wildlife. You're likely to see distant grizzlies you won't want to approach, and animals like goats in places where you cannot approach even if you want to.

I've seen elk, goats, grizzlies, bighorns and deer in Glacier, and the scenery is spectacular. You should get some really good photos.

adam mcconnell

@amac

That's just the type of info I was looking for. I was beginning to get the impression the grizzlies would be walking right next to me! Seeing them from afar will be comforting. I guess a 100-400 zoom would do the trick? Thanks

adam

Gary Yee

@lakemcd

Locale: NW Montana

On a full frame the 24 is a must have in Glacier for landscapes with a prominent object in the foreground supported by background vistas. As for wildlife 24-105 mainly for goats, a little to close for sheep though I do recall being about 60' away from two bighorns smashing it up once and was surprised at what 150mm allowed me to get despite the adrenaline rush. Small animals such as marmots can be had with the 70-200. Bears if you are under 400mm you're too close. I live and work within 45 mins. of West Glacier for three decades, if you need anything give me a call.

Gary

Mark Montag
    BPL Member

@sanjuans

Love my 6d but it's not the best wildlife camera when needing distance. Use your 70-200 – rent a TC x1.4 III extender – the Mark III has excellent IQ and rent a 60d or 7d, or the new 70d if it's available in time or save weight with the SL1. Use you 6d for landscape. jmo

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Bears if you are under 400mm you're too close."

You know that you have a long enough lens when you look through it and all you see is fur.

I was there a few weeks ago. My 100-400mm lens was perfect for trail encounters with wildlife, but I carried a shorter lens for scenery. A longer lens was perfect for shooting from the road. There were times when the wildlife was a mile away.

–B.G.–

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools