Topic

Lightweight Mid Hiking Boot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Mid Hiking Boot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I am hiking Mt Kilimanjaro in September and the guide service is requiring boots, which I haven't worn hiking in years. Anyone know of a mid-hiking boot that is light, has a good tread, and doesn't have a Gore WP lining? Seems like every mid boot now has Gore in it–amazing the hold they have on the industry.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I believe part of the Kilimanjaro climb is on snow. NO?

If so, you may want to have a water proof boot.

I am not a fan of Gortex, but if you're going to be slogging up snow, it seems better for your feet to be soaked in warm sweat than ice water.

bill

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Inov8 286 GTX. 10.2 oz in the standard size 9. Lighter than many trail runners.

Ok, it is a trail runner, but it looks like a boot. They even call it a boot.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yeah, they tried that on us in Nepal too. We took light boots for the snow but did most of the trip in 250 g joggers. We went much faster than the others who were wearing big boots all the time.

Do they want your money? Then they accept your joggers.
    But yes, some GTX mids for the snow could be useful – carried by the porters.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Kilimanjaro is almost exactly on the Equator, so there are no distinct summers or winters. You can get snowed upon there in every month, mostly because of its altitude. Yes, the glaciers are disappearing.

I was there one June, and there was a little bit of new snow, although it didn't amount to that much. Depending on your route, the trail can be very rocky in places, and the top of the Coca-Cola Route can be full of loose gravel and sand. Therefore, I think a mid-hiking boot would be an excellent choice, especially if it has an agressive tread.

I had taken a pair of taller boots and some mid-height boots since I didn't really know what the conditions would be like (we ascended the Arrow Glacier through the Western Breach). I wore the mids up to 16,000 feet, and I was thinking of shifting over to the taller boots for the rest of the ascent for warmth, if nothing else. But at the last minute, I stuck with mids, and that worked fine. I did have to kick steps in the snow for the porters, and I doubt that I could have done that with trail runners.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Keen makes a couple non-waterproof mids. I want :) Montrail Namche boots have been discontinued, but you may find some out there. Light and breathable for a mid.

It may be a crampon use thing, so you may want to check up on that.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

go tryout a pair of Ahnu Elkridge boots at REI. They are eVent and breath incredibly well, are fairly light for boots and are extremely comfortable. I own a pair and love them. Even better, they are on sale now for $99!!!

http://www.rei.com/product/807296/ahnu-elkridge-mid-event-hiking-boots-mens

Danton Rice
    Spectator

@drice

Locale: Bozeman

Check out the Zamberlan Crosser. GTX but are not clammy up to low 70's for me. Super comfortable and barely weigh more than my Ultra Raptors

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Those Zamberlans look pretty nice. How stiff are they underfoot?

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Anyone have any experience with the Salomon XA Pro 3D Mid GTX Ultra Trail Running Shoe? It would pass as a mid hiking boot, although Salomon calls it a running shoe. 29 oz for the pair in size 9.

Danton Rice
    Spectator

@drice

The Crosser has a nice rock plate but is not stiff. I tried them and the Asolo Reston's and picked the Crosser. Reston's were stiffer and had a weird rounded sole at the edges that felt unstable and a more pronounced rocker sole. You could probably run in the Crosser's if you really needed to and they are super stable in scree and rocks. I've got about 100 miles of sloppy spring time day hiking in them so far and they seem bomb proof without feeling stiff as boards.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I didn't like those Salomon Mids. I had a hard time keeping my heel locked in them with the nontraditional laces, and they have a whopping 14mm of heel drop, which felt like wearing heels.

I just picked up these:

http://www.backcountry.com/asolo-piuma-hiking-boot-mens

Asolo Piuma. I can't review them yet, but I picked them because they look durable and they have a mesh outer instead of a WPB layer. They're definitely lighter than traditional boots at 15oz.

adam mcconnell

@amac

I'm no where near experienced a hiker, but have recently researched a bunch of hiking shoe options. I looked hard at the Salomon. I've owned the low version of the shoe you're looking at and loved it. I've worn out La Sportiva's trail runners and they held up well. I would trust both to be durable and get the job done. They fit me like any other running shoe – small – so order big!

I recently purchased a pair of Oboz. Most of their hikers are WP, but at my early stage of wearing my new Firebrands, I feel they are a solid build. I went for a short 3-4 mile cross country-ish jog in them yesterday. These are not joggers, but felt very comfortable. The sole was more responsive than I expected. And at the end, my feet and socks were perfectly dry. It's worth checking them out.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I too have a pair of Oboz, I believe that they are the Yellowstone model and purchased them last year just before heading out on a trip after 3 weeks of healing on broken toes sustained trail running with my 5 fingers. I should say that I have been living in my 5 fingers for the past 4 years as my primary foot wear, so my body is well adapted to the more natural foot position. To Adam's point they are not the lightest, but they are very comfortable and seem to work very well providing great support. My only challenge with them would be having to adapt to the more traditional heal lift, compared to the flat minimalist footbed of most of my other shoes.

I did stop by REI during the sale last week and picked up a set of

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/30884M/74564/Mens/Proterra-Mid-Sport

Merrell Proterra mids. They are much lighter and do have a "boot like" feel to them. however they use only a 4 mm drop in the footbed and are extremely comfy, lightweight (for a boot) and seem to grip the trail very well.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is a review of the Merrell Proterra at Toe Salad.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have owned Merrill Moab Mid GTX boots for two years and they have held up well in both winter and wet summer treks. Very comfortable, especially when I replaced the good factory insoles with heat mouldable insoles.

These are "barely boots" but do cover your ankle bones. They are a true mid height.

Be sure to get one width wider than your street shoe width to allow for your foot to spread from all day walking witha load.

BTW, REI sells Merrill shoes and boots. Wider widths can be special ordered.

These mid bots also come in a NON GTX version.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Not everyone's feet swell. even after backpacking all day my feet don't swell enough to have ever occurred to me to buy a wider shoe or boot.

bill

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Anyone know of a mid-hiking boot that is light, has a good tread, and doesn't have a Gore WP lining?"

Yes, the Inov8 Roclite 370. It is no longer made, so I think we should start up a petition to Inov8 requesting that they reintroduce it. By far the best UL non GTX mid hiking shoe I have ever come across.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Anonymous
    Inactive

DARN!!! If they were 10's, I'd take them off your hands, $20 shipping/pair and all.

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

I run in them (XA Pro 3D), hike/light pack in them(Synapse), and heavy pack in them(Cosmic 4D).

There's something about their last that makes them perfect for my feet. I would guess that, since some other brands that get high acclaim make my feet hurt, this means Saloman's aren't for everyone. I'd be sure to try a pair on, before you order them, if you're thinking about going that route.

Every Saloman I have used has fit me perfectly and I have never gotten a single blister from any of them. Light as heck too. I feel like I'm walking on air. They make a line called the Synapse that is a mid. It is my go to (in the non-gortex variety) for 3-season backpacking in the Rockies. It comes in either GTX or breathable.

They also make a lightweight full length (1lb 6ozs for a full length Gortex seems light to me anyway) called the Cosmic 4D GTX that has gotten mixed reviews. But it has been very successful as my long trip (heavy pack due to food weight) during the shoulder seasons. Great support and protection and a great heal and toebox.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Dan,

Just tried those Crossers on and they are sweet! A bit more sensitive under foot than I expected, but super light (1.1kg for my bigfoot size 47s; I asked the cute staffer to weigh them and felt like a total BPL nerd) and super comfy. I'm pretty much sold, thanks for the heads up.

Danton Rice
    Spectator

@drice

Joomy – Glad you liked the Crosser. I thought it was a little flexy underfoot and put Superfeet green insoles in and now they are perfect. I particularly like the rounded toe box, the approach shoe style toe boxes that seems popular in these types of boots / shoes does not work for me.

I've tried every mid-height mentioned on this thread including a few others (Salewa Alp Trainers, etc.) and the the new Crosser is the best I've found even with the GTX.

Best non-GTX I've tried were the Zamberlan Trekkers. All leather but pretty light, mid cut and no Gore Tex. Super well made boot in the lighter range (looks like they are on sale on Backcountry.com).

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

the garment zenith mids are a nice boot. come in GTX and non-GTX… non-gtx on sale at backcountry.com

bill

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools