Topic

Ozark Trail Cocoon 200 Sleeping Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Ozark Trail Cocoon 200 Sleeping Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    brandon hippler

@brandonhippler

I recently found a 1 pound 5 ounce sleeping bag at walmart. It is 90 percent duck down and is rated to 32f. If your on a budget or just give it a try heres a link. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-32-Degree-Adult-Sleeping-Bag-Peacock-Blue-Black/22008955

I gave it a try in 44 degree weather and I was warm all night. great price for what you get!

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I saw that as well. Packs down pretty darn tiny, about the size of a football.

Cameron Wilson
    Spectator

@cjw

Does the bag actually fluff up? I took one out of the stuff sack at WM and it was flat as could be. Definitely enough to put me off until I could hear from others.

Thanks

Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Locale: Front Range

I ordered one of these online to check it out and received it today. Over on Hammockforums there has been a lot of talk about these bags having inconsistent fill. I think the reason for this perception is that in many of the bags, the down has settled to the bottom. When I held it up to the light, there was almost no down in the top of the bag. The chambers are continuous, so I laid the bag inside-down on a bed and was able to "sweep" the down with my hand from the bottom baffles to the top. It then had ~1.5" of loft on the top.

Overall, even with all the down on top, the down is pretty sparse and can shift easily. The bag is not sewn-through. As far as I can tell, its baffles are around 1.5" tall, and they are about 6.5" apart. It needs more down to prevent shifting. There is more down on the torso than the lower legs.

The bag has sparsely-filled draft tubes along the zipper and above/below the neck. The neck draft tubes and the head opening have heavy shock cord and big cordlocks to cinch it together. There is a small zippered pocket on the inside above the chest. The hood has a lot of down and is warm. The bag itself weighs 21.7 oz. The material is a micro-grid polyester ripstop that feels like plastic, but is soft. It does not have any DWR, so I might try to spray it with a water repellant and see if it holds.

Sizing – I am 5'10", 180 lbs, broad shouldered. The bag is big enough for me, but I wouldn't want to be much bigger.

I think this will become a fun project bag. I will replace the heavy shock cord and cordlocks with lighter ones, and add around 3 oz of down. This should be pretty easy because there is a seam inside of the bag, along the side opposite of the zipper, that will be easy to pick and gain access to all the chambers. I thought about replacing the zipper, but it would be a lot of work. Here are some pics:

Closed bag

Full bag

Bag slightly open

Open bag

Bag compared with a true 30 degree quilt – stock JRB Hudson River. The Hudson River has about double the loft, but it is hard to gauge in the pics.

with HR1

with HR2

Dennis rosloniec

@lpranal

Locale: great lakes

I found this bag through hammockforums, actually bought the combo deal for 69 bucks with the sleep pad… which I later returned to make my final cost about $56. Last night I removed the seam and added some down from a couple of $5 thrift store down garments (jacket and vest) and it lofts wayyyyy better now and added only a couple ounces. walmart bag with overstuffed down

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Curious if anyone here has used it for overnighters and if so what they think the bag's actual rating is.

Dennis rosloniec

@lpranal

Locale: great lakes

I've only used it once before I overstuffed it (still need to have a friend sew the seam i opened shut) and it was upper 40's / low 50's that night in my hammock. I was toasty warm. From the thread on hammockforums it sounds like most people were able to get it close to its temperature rating with no issues so long as they had proper under insulation. Not sure how this translates to the world of ground sleepers but it "feels" as warm as my mountain hardwear 35 degree synthetic

Anonymous

I think 45F is a pretty close lower limit for me; cowboy camping with no other insulation from clothing. 40F in tent no cloths & 35 in tent with a light or midweight baselayer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There was another thread about this bag somewhere, and some mentioned it had a strong odor. Has anyone that bought the bag noticed this?

David Barnes
    Spectator

@twindaddy

I bought this for my son for the monthy BSA camp outs. This past sat., it was a wet, windly 48 degree night. He was in a old coleman tent on a blue walmart tarp in a grassy field with one other boy in the tent. My son tends to sleep a bit hot. He was using an older z-lite pad ( R Factor 2.5 ish) He started the night in the bag with an UnderArmor Heat Gear Long Sleeve and some Champion C9 lightweight longies. He took off the longies allmost immediately and slept in his underwear and long sleeve for the rest of the night. He said he was still a bit hot. He is 5' 5'', 115 lbs.

I suspect for most people this is a 40 degree bag presuming, tent, non insulating pad and some decent sleep gear. The bag does compact to about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle with ease.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

Obviously, its not going to be as good as a western mountaineering, but would you supplement your normal 30 degree bag with this one?

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I'd pull the trigger on one if it came in some other color than Blue or whatever that other funky color is that I've seen. I hate red and blue for my gear.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools