Topic

Hot weather, long sleeve shirts + pants for the tall and skinny

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hot weather, long sleeve shirts + pants for the tall and skinny

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Locale: Denver

I'm tall and skinny, jacket size is a 38L. I've already accepted the fact that if I want dress clothes to fit me, I need something made to measure (seriously).

Am I screwed when it comes to backpacking clothes? While baselayer stuff is typically a non-issue, finding hot weather clothes similar to the rail rider's adventure shirt is difficult. I have one and while it's functional, it fits me like a sail and of course looks horrendous. I'd like a similar shirt, maybe with a normal collar and in a small or medium long. Does this exist?

And pants… I have a pair of Thunderbolt jeans which are great when it's not too hot. Is there anything similar in terms of look and styling that are thinner material and lighter in color?

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

Some brands like Eddie Bauer and LL Bean have "tall" sizes, which I assume you already know about. I'm 6'2" 185 and usually wear L/XL shirts but a medium tall in those brands usually fits me pretty well. For hot weather hiking, I've used standard dress shirts in this size (light colors) and it actually works great even with cotton. If you can find a linen shirt that would be even better (or wool if you want to spend extra). But if you've had zero luck with non-custom dress shirts anyway then I guess that's kinda useless.

There are taller people here who might be able to help out more

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm 6'5", about 200 lb. Eddie Bauer/First Ascent tops in a Large/Tall fit me perfectly. I don't have much in the way of shoulders, though.

As for pants, there are far, far fewer options in my experience. REI's Sahara zip-offs come in several inseam sizes, the longest of which barely fits me. Beyond that, I have to buy XL, XXL, etc., to get things even close to my ankles. I have NEVER seen rain pants in a tall size. When you see "Big and Tall," know the emphasis is on the "and." :-(

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Has pants up to 36 inseam with various waist sizes. I don't fit in anything but sized pants for some of the same reasons you listed.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Todd-

Prepare to have your mind blooooowwwn. I have a pair of these and they fit really well. 6'4" 200lbs here – 36 inseam. Not very UL though.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-GORE-TEX-PacLite-Rainy-River-Pants-Regular/750835.uts

Like Todd, I find pants are almost impossible to find in the right length. Shirts are much easier once you find how the different brands fit. Montbell & Eddie Bauer are two of the best.

Ryan

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Short sleeves and shorts for me in hot weather. Problem solved :)

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Arc'teryx does "tall" sizes in nearly all their pants models. That said, at 6'4 with a 33 inch waist I am right at the edge of even their tall sizes. Someone slightly longer in the leg with the same waist size would find them too short.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools