Topic

For People Wanting to Upgrade A Piece of Their Big 3 More Cheaply:

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) For People Wanting to Upgrade A Piece of Their Big 3 More Cheaply:

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

I noticed a lot of threads where recent UL converts are looking for a way to save money while making major upgrades on things that fall into the "Big 3" Categories of Tent, Pack, and Sleeping Bag. In particular, people have been asking about sales on Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags.

Long-term "Geer Junkies" know that opportunities for such discounts on things like this are few and far between. Usually, you have to end up in the right brick and mortar store at the right time, due to manufacturers like Western Mountaineering pulling distribution licenses from online dealers that run online sales on their stuff.

For anyone who would lie to make such a purchase on such Gear at 20% off:

On the EMS web site. You can get 20% on any one item for joining their email club. Discount works on everything on the site. Even on Western Mountaineering stuff, etc. This is unusual, as most sites exclude the top names from their discounts. Especially the larger discounts like 20% on up. (No I don't work for EMS or any other brand for that matter) I just stumbled on this by accident while making my rounds on the web looking for deals on my wish list.

This is about the best deal I have found on a Western Mountaineering Bag (New anyways) and I used it to add another bag to my collection (Got an Alpinlite for $388)

Remember though, it can only be used one time, on one item. So, as Yoda would say: "Choose wisely my young pada-wan".

As a bonus, you will also get club points that translate to discounts on future purchases from them. Nice way to save almost $100 on a great bag and a little more on something else later on.

OH YEAH: and free shipping on anything over $48. So they don't get you there either.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Dont forget that free shipping, and points offered by some retailers amount effectively to a nice discount. Use rebate thru MrRebates or other sites as well for more. You just may need to wait until you have enough points to benefit, or choose gear from a limited list that can be bought with points.

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

Sorry all. It was a limited time thing for the Holiday I guess. I checked their site and it is no longer there.

"Early Bird Gets the Worm" thing I guess. To those of us that got in on it… Woot! Sorry to those of you that missed out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools