Topic

Ultimate Sun Shirt Search

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultimate Sun Shirt Search

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Eric Krumland
    BPL Member

@eric_k

Locale: The northwest is the BEST

I am look for a special shirt to wear in the summer heat that meets these criterion

Long sleeve
    Thin breathable material (I would like to wear this in hot 75+ weather)
    good sun protection (For high alititude and spring skiing use)
    lose fit
    available in white or some other light reflecting color
    and this is the tricky part hooded (to protect my ears and neck form burning)

The closest I have found is the Patagonia Tropic Comfort Sun Hoody
    http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/tropic-comfort-sun-hoody?p=52120-0-275&pcc=1128

I have not seen this in person, my only reservation is that I do not know what the weight of the material is or if it would be comfortable to wear alone.

Have any of you found a shirt matching what I am looking for

Eric

Avery S
    BPL Member

@aveman

A similar shirt was the First Ascent Solar Foil, which has been discontinued:

http://reviews.eddiebauer.com/9015/42396/eddie-bauer-solarfoil-hoodie-reviews/reviews.htm

I thought about buying one, but the mediums were apparently huge and they didn't make the small size in a tall length.

I'm also looking for something like this.

Jessica Petot
    Spectator

@jessid87

You might check out the Lightweight Sun Hoody. I've seen this garment in person and its very light and somewhat loose fitting. Looks like a little more of an open weave than the Tropic Comfort. Also has 35 UPF while I didn't see any UPF rating on the Tropic Comfort.
    Jess

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hi Eric,

I purchased the Patagonia Tropic Comfort Sun Hoody last year. I used it for general travel (not backpacking) in temperatures over 100 degrees, with and without a baselayer.

FYI, the Tropic Comfort Sun Hoody does not have an official UPF rating. Check out the Lightweight Sun Hoody (http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-lightweight-sun-hoody?p=26653-0-950) if you want rated UPF. I opted for the Tropic Comfort because I liked the chest pocket and thumb loops. I don't know if I would make the same choice again.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Kuhl made a hooded button-down shirt a few years ago but I don't think they make it anymore (of course).

Why not get the shirt you want and add a buff or sun scarf?

Like this: http://www.coolibar.com/product/Sun-Accessories/Scarves-Bandanas/Aire-Hooded-Scarf/pc/2264/c/0/sc/2299/156157.uts

It seems marketed to women but it wouldn't look out of place on top of a white/light-colored sun shirt.

Eric Krumland
    BPL Member

@eric_k

I found this online, I have always though that ExOffico was stupid but this actually look to just what I am looking for, have any of you ever seen this?
    http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-sol-cool-hoody

Eric

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Eric Krumland
    BPL Member

@eric_k

I guess that brings me back to comparing the tropic comfort vs the lightweight sun hoody. I wish I could try on both and decide which I liked better.

Eric

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I would check with your local store and see if they have them both to try. Or order them online and mail back the one you don't like.

But I would look more closely at the lightweight sun hoody. I may sell my tropic comfort and pick up the UPF rating.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Does anyone know how much difference a light vs. dark color can make in a sun shirt? For example, navy vs. light grey?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

The lighter the better (in color). From someone that lives in a high insolation region, you definitely will notice how much heat a black shirt will absorb (and then release onto your skin) versus a light shirt.

At the same time the absorption of light by colors is not quite linear. There have been some studies on car color that showed a red car heats up almost as much as a black car and both significantly more than a white color. The take away is that you need a fairly light color to notice any benefit by the color. The darkest I would try is a solid yellow but would suggest nothing darker than khaki to be on the safe side.

Also there is supposedly some new fabric technology (dark cool or something like that) coming from I believe Schoeller that reflects solar radiation just like a white shirt, regardless of the actual color it is dyed. Seems feasible from a physics standpoint but I haven't seen many commercial products with the fabric just yet (I think MHW may have had a few shirts but nothing I could remember by name so no help there).

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Did some quick google searching and came up with ColdBlack, which apparently UnderArmour uses in some clothing.

For tech specs look at this schoeller site:

http://www.coldblack.ch/index.php?id=6

I'd still go with a light color though, but if you do care about it enough there are "options" for you.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hi Rick,

I had a visit with my dermatologist this afternoon. She also confirmed that most any (dry) shirt material will be sufficient at blocking harmful UV unless you have particularly pale skin. I guess I may end up keeping the tropic comfort hoody but I'm still a bit paranoid.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I love the mesh panels on my BoneFlats shirt that run up the inside of the sleeve and down the side of the body. They let in the breeze but not the sunlight.

Dustin Smith

@dsmith87

Locale: Bethesda, MD

I have both the Patagonia Tropic Comfort (crew version not the hoody) and the First Ascent Solar Foil hoody. I actually really like both. The Tropic Comfort was my shirt of choice last summer in the 90+ degree Florida heat. It's also cut a bit better than the FA hoody. The FA hoody is randomly a bit short in the torso in my experience. That being said, due to the hood, the FA hoody is what will be in my bag on Rainier in August.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools