Topic

Lightest truly low-odor synthetic tee for summer heat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest truly low-odor synthetic tee for summer heat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

My 150 g/m2 merino tee shirt is too warm for summer days. It is far warmer (and substantially heavier) than my Duofold coolmax tee shirt, but the coolmax starts to smell fairly offensive after a few days on the trail. Are cool, ultra thin and breathable synthetics with truly effective odor control still a fantasy? Has anyone had any particularly good (low-odor) experiences with superlight synthetic tee shirts?

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Cotton.
    Seriously.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Cotton"

I agree. You can get all sorts of different thickness and weights. I use it a lot.

The least stinky and most breathable synthetic I have is a Rail Riders Eco-T. I use it a lot too.

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

…I have one Starter athletic shirt from WallyWorld that doesn't stink. I have no idea why; the other two I have in the same polyester jersey material most definitely do after a day or two of use. Maybe it's the white color (the other two are blue)? I got nothing. Regardless, it doesn't get that "synthetic funk" that kills skunks at fifty paces, even after being used a couple of days in a row in FL summers. And at ~$10, it might be worth checking out, even if it doesn't wind up working for you (even if it doesn't work for the trail, you just got a PT shirt, so not an entirely bad deal).

It's the DryStar line of polyester jersey material (the one with the really loose weave), in a very light grey/off-white color. Hope it helps!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Like Nick, I find the Rail Riders shirts(mine an eco-mesh) to be less stinky than any other synthetic shirts I own.
    That may be because of the loose fit and highly ventilated design?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

First questions… are you sure you shirt is 150 g/m2 and what color is it? I ask because my 150 g/m2 is as light (weight wise) as any of my synthetic tech-tees, and I find it almost as cool wearing when compared to the synthetics in the same color / UV level protection. If the shirt isn't white, you might think about a color change rather than a material chance.

As to synthetics that don't stink… nothing matches wool.

There has been a suggestion of Eco-Mesh. I use an Eco-Mesh (actually their Adventure Shirt which is the same except button rather than velco closure) when I am facing heavy bug situation. It is less stinky than some tech-tees, but it doesn't match wool (or the best tech-tees I have found). For me, it gets stinky after a 2-3 of days. It also is a lot less air permeable than a traditional tech-tee, so I find it hotter wearing it than a tech-tee.

The best options I have found so far don't seem to be made anymore, shirts using x-static or VisaEndurance with >=8% silver. Unfortunately most use on 4% silver which isn't' effective enough for me. I have heard good reports about ArcTeryx Motus, but haven't tried it myself.

–Mark

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Just want to clarify my earlier post. It is the Eco Speed T Shirt. Much different than the Rail Riders shirt most are used to.

http://www.railriders.com/men-eco-speed-p-839.html

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Thanks for the input. To clarify, my merino tee is definitely 150 gsm. It is labelled as such and I was selective when I bought it. It weighs 5.4 oz. My coolmax polyester tee (which I bought in about 1998) weighs 3.6 oz, and the material is much thinner. In summer I rapidly overheat in the wool tee. I can't wear it when I go running, for example. It is light green in color, and the coolmax tee is a dark forest green.

I'd like to find something like the old coolmax tee I have, but with x-static fibers, or some other silver/quaternary ammonium treatment that controls odor. I don't expect any polyester to stink as little as wool after a couple of days, but I was hoping that advances in technology in the past fifteen years had produced something substantially better than the old-fashioned coolmax.

Thanks for the suggestions to look at the Railriders shirts. I think I'm looking for something more like an athletic tee, though (light knits worn by runners, etc.).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Colin,

Are you getting PMs? Sent you one.

Doug

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I have the lightweight Nike shirt that runs 3.7 oz in large. Its the lightest shirt I can find from Nike.

I have worn it 9 days straight without taking it off, sweating heavily every day,.
    It doesnt smell (to me).

I have wondered it perhaps permethrin has something to do with it.

I have some golite wildwood Ts coming that are 2.5-3 oz. Will find out this weekend how they fare.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

They aren't synthetic, but check out the Rab Meco shirts. They have a 120 gsm weight which is significantly cooler than my 150 gsm merino shirts. The cocona content makes it pretty durable too- moreso than even 150 gsm merino which can be quite delicate. I wore one for 12 days in a row and while I didn't smell like roses, it was way better than with any synthetic I've ever used.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"As to synthetics that don't stink… nothing matches wool."

100% Linen does. Based on a combo of both experience and research.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I second Andrew's recommendation. Try out the Rab Meco 120 t shirt. I have one and it is fantastic. I have used their meco line extensively and it is far, far more durable than merino wool, yet has the same odor-fighting abilities.

The meco t-shirt is a snug fit, so if you want it for really hot weather, consider sizing up for a looser fit.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

> I have the lightweight Nike shirt that runs 3.7 oz

hmm… we must have different body chemistry or maybe I just too sensitive. I can get maybe 2 days with my Nike running shirt before my noise starts to get offended.

–Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools