Topic

Double hammocks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Double hammocks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

I am thinking about buying a double hammock for the wife and I so I only have to carry the one double hammock and one tarp. It sounds a lot better than 2 hammocks and two tarps but I have never slept in a double hammock and I have a couple questions and concerns.

First off to my wife's dismay I am not much of a cuddler and I am afraid I will feel constricted in a double hammock crammed up against my wife. Is this the case or are they large enough for a little personal space. If not just tell me and I will quickly forget about this idea.

There is a about 300 lbs. soaking wet between the both of us so I don't need some overbuilt heavy hammock. I would like to keep the total weight of hammock, tree straps & etc. under 24oz. I don't need a bug net btw.

I am on a tight Budget.

Which one should I buy? Obviously comfort is the most important aspect followed by weight and then price. Thanks guys!

Joseph

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

…unless you're a serious snuggler (which, according to your post, you're not). Weight (both yours and hers) is going to seek the lowest point in the hammock, which means that you're going to be pressed against each other all night long. Sleep may be possible, but I'm pretty sure that it won't be particularly comfortable.

Clark makes a couple of models that are true-two person hammocks (not just a single-person hammock marked as "double" to indicate that it's bigger than their stock model); their Vertex and Flex 180 models. Unfortunately, neither of those is even close to your target weight of 24 oz (the Flex 180 comes in at 70 oz, the Vertex at 90 oz).

There have been several different attempts over on Hammock Forums to use hiking poles as spreader bars for two hammocks hung from two trees (and there's the always-popular three-tree hang). Starting there may yield some help; I think two smaller hammocks could come in under your weight limit, even with suspension.

Hope it helps!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Yeah its a double because they rate it on weight capacity, not size.

While two people may fit in it and be under the weight rating, its not MEANT for two, but two is possible.

Never heard of the Clarks but at 70oz?!?!? Holey Moley!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Okay for a summer afternoon nap, but a joke for camping. Make her sleep on the ground ;)

{Dale dons his body armor}

Ryan Begerman
    BPL Member

@ramen

Locale: Mountain west US

I would suggest buying two BIAS Weight Weenie Micros. With straps and whoopies you will be under 24 ounces. Get a bigger tarp, like a 10×10 or larger.

Then use your hiking poles as spreader bars so you can use the same trees. Or, have the straps come off opposite sides of the trees and lie head to foot. Or, find three trees.

You can also bring some extra cord and tie it to a different tree to pull one of the suspensions away from the other. Don't forget about it and trip in the night though!

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

My wife didn't think that was funny but I thought it was hilarious.

I figured it wouldn't be to comfortable. I guess I will just stick with two hammocks and if I can get away with it on tarp. Thanks anyway guys.

Joseph

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Why stop at just two people??
    The Ticket To The Moon Mammock Hammock will fit an orgy's worth.

http://www.ticketothemoon.com/en/hammock_mammock.html

tttm
    tttm

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Locale: New England

If you're comfortable with it, you can try hanging one low and the other one above you. That should ensure that you get the tarp coverage…I know it's pretty common with kids as I've done it before, just not with the wife.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

If you are good at MYOG projects, take a look at this Double Bridge Hammock:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6780

Looks like the bridge style would allow you to be together but somewhat separated in your own "pocket" of the hammock.

Michael

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Matthew: Those people aren't being very sociable. I've had 17 members of the UC Berkeley Hiking Club in my 7-foot-diameter hot tub.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

David,
    (sigh)….Berkeley….figures……….bet that pretty much made your hot tub unusable, after that, huh?
    Hope they didn't bring any Chernobly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGIAUdXxuE

M

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

How many STDs did that get you? ;)

Hot tubs are the grossest thing ever.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools