Topic

HMG vs. Zimmerbuilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG vs. Zimmerbuilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I have been thinking about it. Only problem is, everytime I see one of Chris Zimmer's packs I re-think it. If you could talk him into not making such nice looking packs, I would give it a go haha : )

scree ride

@scree

While I can appreciate the quality, I really didn't like the looks of Zimmerbuilt packs. I didn't really see much innovation, only customer's whims. That leaves you a market.
    While the hope for cuben, is to create heavier and heavier fabrics, Xpac becomes more and more desirable. If only it wasn't died in snow cone colors. The bright orange clashes with my lime green sneakers, you'd think the big top circus was in town.
    The Porters are simple.
    What I would like to see is a bra for them. Like a car bra, except with pockets. One that protects the bottom and can be replaced. Combined with a top bag, it could also double as a speed vest to use out of base camp. Water bottle pockets that straddle between the pack and the belt. Ones that I can actually reach. A mesh bag for the back, cheap enough not to worry about snags.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

"While I can appreciate the quality, I really didn't like the looks of Zimmerbuilt packs. I didn't really see much innovation, only customer's whims."

That is the point, I wouldn't call it whims, but designed to be what the customer has decided they want after using other packs. It is the MYOG for those who don't have the skills or time to make their own.

I am in the same place, mostly like the looks of the HMG suspension and windrider SW pockets but not the white color, hip belt to some degree and the way the compression straps go over the side pockets.

Like the fabric, color and suspension of the SMD Starlite but not the volume or pockets. Like the volume and no sweat back panel of the Swift but not the hipbelt.

So I am looking to Zimmerbuilt to help me combine multiple things into a simple pack I can use in rough dry country (carry 35+ lbs with water) and use here in the wet east. I am confindent I can find X-pac colors I can live with.

scree ride

@scree

HMG does have black as well.
    Not trying to push them over Zimmer, mind you. Just presenting options.
    I could have lived with the grey Xpac as well. I could have even surpassed my infatuation with cuben.
    I simply understood the HMG's to carry 35+ better.

I admit calling customer input "whims" is a bit critical, but really it all mostly amounts to pocket arrangement and choice of material. Having a mesh back panel or not. HMG's argument was that they absorb sweat. All I really have to do fix a dry rag up with some bungees and I can change it out.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools