Topic

2007 Rab Summit Extreme Tent REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 2007 Rab Summit Extreme Tent REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Richardson

@drichardson23

Locale: Wasatch

I just want to comment on this comment:

"Unfortunately, the current Easton 7075 aluminum poles are heavier and less strong than the previous Easton Carbon FX models."

Easton Carbon FX tent poles are as strong as our .340 7075 T9 (96,000 psi) and in fact are designed to have the exact deflection of the .340 7075 T9 (.070 at 18"). The Carbon FX is designed around the .340 and a tent design can be created as a hybrid with aluminum and carbon sections. Also, the Carbon FX is lighter than the 7075 T9 .340, but it is 3x the price of aluminum. The weight difference is 5.543 gpi (grains per inch).

If you have any questions, just contact me directly at [email protected].

thanks,
    Elizabeth Wise
    Mountain Products Manager
    Easton
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

It would be awesome if you could post the component weight of the tent. How much did the poles, body, guylines, and the stakes weigh each?

Thanks!

Brian

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

No love?

Does anyone out there own this tent, who could let me know how much the body alone weighs and how much the poles alone weigh?

Thanks!

Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

Brian,
    Did anyone ever help you out with the weights of the Rab? If not, I have the tent and could weight it for you.
    Don

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I would love weights. This tent is on my short list if a couple mountain trips fall into place.

Connie Yang

@connie

The NEMO Tenshi fabric is called OSMO. It has a 30D polyester ripstop base with a proprietary monolithic laminate on one side.

We (I'm an engineer at NEMO) changed over from eVENT for a few primary reasons:

1. the eVENT fabric being used was not fire-retardant and for tent to be available everywhere without exception, all fabrics must be FR-treated

2. The NEMO OSMO fabric (5618 g/24hr/m2)tested better in our independent lab fabric tests than eVent ev5005 (5304 g/24hr/m2). The test we use is ASTM E 96 METHOD BW (inverted).

3. The NEMO OSMO fabric has a lower weight (2.22 oz/yd2) than the eVent (2.84 oz/yd2).

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Hi Connie,
    thanks for stopping by.
    A small question: I've read somewhere that the Osmo fabric is a formulation of Toray Dermizax. Could you confirm or deny this?

Connie Yang

@connie

Hi Tom,

The NEMO OSMO fabric is a propietary fabric made by a company called Formosa — so, it is NOT a Toray fabric.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Connie

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Thanks

Andy Dixon

@sideshowandy

OK folks, just weighted my own summit extreme, results are as follows (in grams for greater accuracy)

tent body alone 1333g
    poles 380g
    guy lines 181g
    pegs 185g (15 x V-shaped alu)

Hopes this helps

Ben Pearre
    BPL Member

@fugue137

If BPL still believes that eVent is still the ultimate material for tents, then the Polaris is a top contender for the title of ultimate single-wall tent, right? Or do the new fabrics (OSMO perhaps, and others) offer similar performance in the Rockies? Might you treat us to a review?

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

According to the reviewer, the Rab Superlite tent/bivy has a mesh front door for camping in the lower elevations. I looked at a Rab Superlite today and I saw no mesh door. Have the folks at Rab removed the mesh door on this tent/bivy since it was reviewed in 2007? Thanks

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

deleted

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Gabriel. This was a review of the Summit Extreme, not the Summit Superlite. I don't think Rab make the Summit Extreme anymore.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Mike you're right… I go this from Rab early this morning:

Hi Gabe,

I think I figured it out. the article you mentioned is reviewing the Summit Extreme, not the Summit Superlite. What this boils down to is: You were correct in your original statement of the Summit Superlite having changed since the review to remove the mesh door.

When the Summit Extreme was reviewed by backpackinglight.com, it had the mesh door. Once it had been updated (in 2009) to make it lighter (by 2 oz) the name was changed to its current name of Summit Superlite. The current model does not have a mesh door.

Cheers,

Karen Moldenhauer

Customer Service Manager

Roy Jamieson

@roysta1

Locale: Gosford

Is the removal of the mesh door the only change?
    In my view this is a retrograde step.
    The mesh door allowed some other options, like leaving the door open near lakes riddled with sandflies etc.
    I also note references to this being three season.
    Is is a 3 or 4?

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

The Rab rep was negligent in not revealing that the Summit Extreme was ā€œsplitā€ into two tents:
    Summit Mountain Bivi
    Single skin, 2 person mountaineering shelter with increased headroom
    Weight:2000g/71oz (+1000g/35oz with optional porch)
    Colours: Olive, Red
    ā€¢ Highly breathable Exchange Liteā„¢ fabric
    ā€¢ 10000mm laminated nylon waterproof bathtub base
    ā€¢ Internally pitched DAC 8.84mm Aluminium poles
    ā€¢ 2 sealed ā€˜donut linkā€™ tie in point, located at top and side
    ā€¢ 4 internal pockets
    ā€¢ Mosquito net door
    ā€¢ Glow in the dark zip pullers
    ā€¢ Available with removable porch adding 140cm length for gear storage
    size: 2220 x 1200mm base, 1000mm height
    Summit Superlite Bivi
    Single skin, 2 person lightweight, low profile mountaineering shelter
    Weight:1500g/53oz
    Colours: Blue, Red
    ā€¢ Highly breathable Exchange Liteā„¢ eVentĀ® fabric
    ā€¢ 10000mm laminated lightweight ripstop nylon waterproof bathtub base
    ā€¢ Internally pitched DAC 8.84mm Aluminium poles
    ā€¢ 1 sealed ā€˜donut linkā€™ tie in point, located at top
    ā€¢ Rear snow collection drawcord porthole
    ā€¢ 1 internal pocket
    ā€¢ Glow in the dark zip pullers
    ā€¢ Aluminium pegs
    size: 2220 x 1200mm base, 700mm height

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools