Topic

The Case Against Wood Fires

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique The Case Against Wood Fires

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 51 post (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

"Fires are also a natural and necessary part of many ecosystems. Not that your wood fire is necessarily contributing to ecosystem function, but just b/c you don't burn that wood doesn't mean that it won't be burned."

This is a good point – certainly here in SoCal where forest fires are a natural part of the ecosystem.

I also remember another interesting argument in favor of campfires that I read a couple years ago – probably on this forum. In a nutshell the argument was that whatever environmental damage is caused by a wood fire it is probably less than that caused by the alternatives. Consider the fossil fuels burned in the mining, processing and transportation of canister stoves and their fuel for example. The chemicals in their paint, the plastic and paper in their packaging. Finally the garbage produced when they are used up. It seems probable to me that if we encouraged people to go into the woods and light fires there would less impact worldwide from the few dozen fires the average person lights, and *nothing* to throw away after 2 years when they give up camping in favor of some other hobby.

Viewing 51 post (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools