Topic

Ultra High Abrasion Resistant Fabric.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ultra High Abrasion Resistant Fabric.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Hello,
    I think this community has significant experience when in MYOG, hence asking this question.

I ride motorcycles in summer and struggle hard to find proper gear which is abrasion resistant, there are lot of products ranging from Leather to 1000D cordura, Kevlar etc etc. They say Kevlar is very abrasion resistant and specially the schoeller®-keprotec is used to make pants and jackets which costs $400-$500 a piece.

I want to know if I can buy schoeller®-keprotec fabric and layer it under my regular jeans something like thisJeans with Kevlar

since I have no tools to cut the fabric (ceramic scissors etc) I would like to use some sort ot strong epoxy to bind this to my normal jeans.

Thoughts?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Here you go… here and here.

edited to fix links.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can't answer your question specifically, but have you thought about the nylon-dyneema fabric that companies like Golite, etc. use? You would have to find an untreated/non coated one though since a lot of these are coated with PU or other coatings to increase water resistance (so would be way too hot and clammy with the coating).

I also have a motorcycle (ninja) and ride during the summer time, and have looked for cheap, safety alternative type clothing.

I bought some long dyneema sleeves that are sold for factory work where people work with sharp instruments or other dangerous conditions. I wear some on both my legs and arms, underneath or over my regular clothing–adding some velcro for tightening. For the regular clothing, i wear two layers of light colored linen or hemp clothes (pants and shirts) since the tensile strength is on average 2 to 3 times higher than cotton, and it's a very cool, breathable fabric.

Btw dyneema sleeves are extremely conductive, your body heat passes right through it. I think a pair of sleeves cost me about 18 dollars or so when i bought them. It won't be as good as the really expensive and motorcycle specific kevlar, etc, suits, but it's a heck of a lot better than wearing just regular clothing.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Nick, I have considered all those options, issue is fit is horrible and they use basic Kevlar fabric and I can't place armor (for impact protection). And yea they expensive a pair of jeans can run into $200+

I want to convert my existing jeans by adding Kevlar fabric and soft armor.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Justin,

Good to know you are a rider yay!!

sutides have shown anything less than 1000D Cordura can't hold up when people get off the bike and slide. Although there are 500D Cordura products in the market they are just false sense of security, they will develop holes or shred in 1-2 secs going 30Mph.

Can you provide some links on you setup. (Hemp pants, etc)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Yes 1000,

These sleeves below look like the ones i bought awhile back, they are 20 in in length so they might not provide as much protection as you are looking for, and if you use them on your legs, they might be too tight if you have thicker legs–i have skinnier legs, but still they only go slightly above my knee.

http://www.amazon.com/100%25-Dyneema-Sleeve-Length-PRICE/dp/B00746PDWI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1369106674&sr=8-4&keywords=dyneema+sleeves

Re: Hemp and linen–mostly i have bought this stuff at thrift stores. I have a pair of heavy duty hemp jeans that i bought off ebay. The company that made them is an Australian one, and the brand is something like Hempcell (i will check later). Joerocket brand came out with a Hemp jacket which they said in their tests was as tough as their leather jackets–i don't have it, but have seen it. A cheap alternative might be a moded Thrift store Linen sport suit top, much thicker fabric than the typical button down shirts i double up.

I also have bought some Linen dress shirts off of Men's wearhouse–because they somewhat regularly have 50% off/buy 2 for 1 sales.

Good to know about the Cordura fabric and how much protection you need. The dyneema sleeves should help quite a bit, but unfortunately, it's not even close to full coverage. I will be watching this thread with interest and see if anyone knows of a source of that Schoeller fabric you mentioned. If it's half way affordable, i would buy some to add to my clothes as well.

If you knit or crochet, or know someone who does, you could possibly get something made from buying a crap load of dyneema or kevlar cord. Dyneema is stronger tensile strength wise than kevlar, but kevlar has better heat resistant properties–so might be better for a high friction/protection clothes–at least i know it's preferred in bullet proof vests because of that property compared to dyneema/spectra.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found some heavy duty fabrics on rockywoods site. Some have kelvar in them, others are a combination of different aramid and other type fibers blended.

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Other-Heavy-Durable-Fabrics

But those are quite expensive, about 25 dollars per half yard–more expensive than a lot of cuben fiber stuff!

The 1000D Cordura fabrics are much more affordable. Unfortunately, most of these are coated. A couple aren't. The foliage green color fabric is only 6.99 per yard.

I did this search very quick, just typed in the brand and type of fabric you specified, added "fabric by yard", did a google search.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

My Crux pack (and indeed all Crux packs) are made from heavy weight Keprotec (which is not 100%, it's a nylon/kevlar blend) and yes, that stuff is burly. I have had no luck in trying to find it from re-sellers, it appears Schoeller will only sell to large-volume manufacturers. Extreme Textil have some kevlar stuff but it's not Keprotec: http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Fabrics/Kevlar/Nomex/Aramid:::21_55.html?XTCsid=316ef3deb1d5371e62a6dfae6c2b723c

Btw, if you need to cut kevlar or carbon fibre try these: http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Products/knives-shears-scissors/10-inch-kevlar-shears.aspx I have a pair, they are badass.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

here is an example of end product using KPROTEC, I kinda hate the non-jeans like looks it has so want to use it inside the regular jeans. :-)

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=48&cid=29&Itemid=15

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Bummer that it's non-coated.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Do you want something which is coated?

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Yes because that makes it waterproof.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Any coatings similar to polyurethene must be avoided since it will stick to the skin if the rider gets off the motorcycle and slide generates enough heat to melt coating on fabric.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

If the rider gets off the motorcycle, a little polyurethane will be the least of worries I suspect;)

Reverse the babric when sewing.Have the urethane coating facing outward away from your skin.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Also, I'm not a motorcyclist.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I was able to buy SuperFabric directly from the manufacturer. They sent me a set of samples to select from. Certain samples were tougher than others. I felt that SuperFabric was the best material on the market and would do fantastically in abrasive situations.

I organized a group buy to amortize the cost of shipping and order processing across a large group of individuals:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/251597-PSA-Bomber-pant-cuffs

The fabric uses some sort of cut and abrasion resistant plastic dots bonded to the fabric. It bonds to other materials using Seamgrip or other Urethane glues quite easily. You can also stitch it, but clean edges are difficult, due to the pattern of the plastic dots. Most manufacturers overlay a 'trim' fabric to give it a nice clean edge.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

yes superfabric is pretty tough, they use some sort of ceramic scales to make it extemely abrasion resistant. I will go through your post on the other forum to get more details.

Thanks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools