Topic

Houdini sizing/layering question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Houdini sizing/layering question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

I'm considering the purchase of a Houdini and have a question about sizing. I am 5'10", 165lbs and usually wear a size large shirt/jacket.I would be using this as a mid windshirt as well as a shell over a bulky fleece when conditions dictate. Should I size up to an XL and if so would I then feel like I am wearing a tarp when used as a mid over a lightweight base layer?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Sizes are not always the same for each manufacturer (Montbell comes to mind). Here's what I do for situations like yours.

Find a store that carries the item desired.
    Wear – or carry – the different layers that will be involved.
    At the store, mix and match accordingly.
    Purchase the size you need.

I'm 5'9 and 190 lbs. My large Houdini works fine over a base layer – even a 260 weight merino. Only you know which combination is the more common when you hike; base + WS or fleece + WS.

Depending on how "bulky" your fleece layer is, I suspect you'll want to go up to an XL so as to not risk compressing the insulation. If that means you'll flap a bit with just a base layer, that's the price you have to pay for the thermal efficiency with the heavier fleece.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I have both the 2012 and 2013 Houdini in medium. I am 5'11 190#. In Patagonia and other well-tailored brands I wear a medium, but I wear a large on other simpler patterned clothes.

The old 2012 Houdini in Medium fits great with a R1. A light synthetic puff vest fits underneath as well, but snugly. The new 2013 Houdini in Medium fits great with a t-shirt. Definitely will not fit an R1 as it is snug across my chest. Large fits decently, and I'd guess would layer fine with a 200wt fleece, depending on the cut of the fleece.

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

Thank you both for the input. I don't live close to a retailer that carries the Houdini so I'm counting on experience from those who have owned this particular jacket. I dislike returning ordered items so thought I would get some feedback before making a decision.

Cheers

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

For Patagonia jackets I wear a Large for the normal fit and an XL for the slim fit. I had to get the Houdini in an XXL to have any room for an insulating layer. The XL was too snug when worn over a 100-weight fleece pullover.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

6'1" and 190. I layer a large over a base and mid layer. It is snug but comfortable. I don't like baggy since I run in it too. On the other hand I sized up to an XL for my waterproof.

Chris Chandler
    BPL Member

@chandler325i-2

Locale: lost angeles

Hey Stephen–

I'd be interested to hear more comparisons of the 2012 vs 2013. Don't want to hijack this thread but wasn't able to PM you

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

…and return whichever doesn't fit?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools