Topic

Mt Fuji in June?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Mt Fuji in June?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jun Bum Kim

@snvplayer

Has anyone climbed Mt. Fuji in early June, off-season?

Most information I have read discouraged climbing off cease stating that it's "dangerous", but doesn't' specify any risk factors (crevices. snow storms)?

I can't seem to find out if I will need an ice axe or cramp-ons.

I am not an experienced mountaineer, but I have backpacked a bit, and climbed upto Camp Muir on Mt. Rainier, which is similar in height/altitude to Mt. Fuji.

Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Mount Fuji is much higher.

It is pretty safe to climb late in the summer, like August, when the snow has melted off the trails. However in June, there might be a lot of really slippery ice on the trails, and the trails might be obscured by snow and hard to follow. The trails are worse on the side that faces the incoming weather.

I went there one time and was successful. I returned years later, and I could not find any bus that was making the run up to the visitor center, so I never made it past the highest village.

–B.G.–

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I can't think of a worse place to be than on an exposed ice capped stratovolcano when it's 3C w/50kph winds and heavy rain."

Exactly. The only thing that is worse is to be up there when you are wearing only ordinary street clothing, a cotton jacket with no hat, and slick-soled shoes. It is a wonder that I lived. We were all young and stupid once.

–B.G.–

Jun Bum Kim

@snvplayer

Thanks for all the info…
    It's these harsh conditions that is appealing to me. I am perfectly ok if I am not able to reach the summit, but would like to at least try.

Could anybody help me grasp an idea of how windy 40km/h? It's classified as high end of "moderate wind", but would like to know if this poses a strong threat or risk? This is about as windy as it gets at 3500m level. On average it's about 5~20km/h..

Thanks.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Jun, it is wise to heed to advice about the dangers of Mt. Fuji off season. It is one of the most dangerous mountains in Japan when it is still capped in snow and ice, in great part because it is totally exposed and the winds up there can be ferocious. A very experienced, high-altitude mountain climber friend of mine (Chris White, some of you may know him) almost died up there during winter, when conditions are safer than they are at the moment (snow more stable, less ice, rarely any rain), mainly because the winds were so powerful he could hardly move. Going up there during the rainy season in Japan is most definitely not a good idea. The rainy season is torrential rain, not just any old rain. Zero visibility due to rain and clouds. And that coupled with very unstable snow and lots of ice… not a safe time to climb.

If you insist anyway, and you are on Facebook, look for the FB group "Hiking In Japan", ask to join, and then pose your question there. There are some extremely experienced Japan mountaineers there, including Chris White, who will be happy to provide you with the technical knowledge you need. I suspect, though, that most of them will strongly discourage you.

I'd say, wait at least until mid-July, when you can be sure of more stable weather and far less snow. This year the snows were very deep, so it might take longer than normal for it to melt away.

This year the casualties in the spring mountains in Japan have been unusually high. Just two weeks ago four people died, one on Mt. Fuji, due to losing his footing on the ice and being unable to stop his fall.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/4-killed-in-mountain-accidents-over-the-weekend

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools