Topic

24: Lost Creek Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 24: Lost Creek Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

Having just recently moved to Colorado, I've been (im)patiently waiting for the snow to melt so I could get out for a trip. This weekend I finally had my chance!

I briefly experienced the area last year on the Colorado Trail, but it stays on the north side of the wilderness. I wanted to see something new.

The route: Goose Creek -> McCurdy Park -> Brookside-McCurdy -> Hankins Pass

Driving in, I see more of the Hayman Burn. A series of signs reads: "Look how the forest that you so admire goes up in smoke with a single fire."
    Lcw1

Goose Creek TH
    Lcw2

Lcw3

Lcw4

Lcw5

Lcw6

Faces in the rocks.
    Lcw7

I wasn't sure Flurry would make it across this one, but she's a little athlete.
    Lcw9

Happy prior to the climb to McCurdy Park.
    Lcw10

Lcw11

Camp @ McCurdy Park
    Lcw12

Chilly Flurry.
    Lcw13

Postholing through McCurdy Park.
    Lcw14

Lcw15

View coming down Brookside-McCurdy
    Lcw16

Looking out from near Hankins Pass.
    Lcw17

Lcw18

Most of the Hankins Pass trail resembled more of a stream than a trail.
    Lcw20

One of many water crossings.
    Lcw21

Passed out on the way home.
    Lcw22

Overall, an enjoyable trip. I need to learn to make myself eat and drink more often though. Pack weight just under 11lbs. Mileage around 25? Not exactly sure.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Nice pics, I love rocky terrain like that. Your dog is beautiful.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Nice little outing Andy. Good to see Flurry still at your side going strong.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Great trip. Lovely dog (what kind?). Unfortunately, I don't bring my dog on the trail because of the bears up here. Otherwise, she'd be with me all the time.

I am finding that 24s are great ways to deal with stress and busy schedules. I still love longer trips, but these are great ways to stay refueled when time is tight.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great trip report, Andy. Thanks for sharing.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

Thanks guys! I got her from a Border Collie rescue, but I'm thinking she has something else in her as well. She loves to hike and goes on all of my trips.

As for 24s, I completely agree! That's what most of my trips are, or close to it at least. I have 3 day weekends now, but find that I really just enjoy the simplicity and minimal preparation of a 24 hour trip.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Andy, Great pics, .. even the burned area is kind of scenic.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Welcome to Colorado Andy!

"Driving in, I see more of the Hayman Burn. A series of signs reads: "Look how the forest that you so admire goes up in smoke with a single fire.""

You'll have to learn your burn areas now that you are here. :) The signs are in the Buffalo Creek burn area but that is the Hayman burn area at the TH.

"Happy prior to the climb to McCurdy Park."

This was my favorite part. I remember going up ii the first time and being really tired and thinking: "If only I had a hammock, I could just camp right here". :)

That is a beautiful area and even great pics just don't do it justice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools