Topic

GPS planning heading filtering?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique GPS planning heading filtering?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Hello there,

I am planning a cycling route using Garmin Mapsource and Google Maps. Basically I make Google draw the route that I will be cycling and import it into Mapsource. Google is however very rich in giving track points, so I want to filter some of these out. Mapsource gives the option to filter for distance and time, but sometimes I also would like to filter on heading, which Mapsource cannot do.

The idea is that if I have to cycle for a mile on a heading of 45 deg and then another mile at 47 deg, I probably can do without the intermediate point and just make a two mile heading; i.e. the small bend in the road will likely not get me confused and lost, will it?

Searching a solution on Google didn't get me anywhere, so I'm hoping there's someone here that can point me to a nice tool that can do this for me.

Tx, Eins

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Mapsource filtering will do what you want. If you use "Filter Automatic", and control the number of points that are eliminated by using the slider, it will only eliminate points that aren't required (as in the the straight line segment you mentioned that has more than 2 points). This uses the same algorithm that is used in a Garmin GPS when you set the track point method to "auto".

I prefer to use the "Manual" filter in Mapsource because it gives you a high degree of control over the number of points you drop. All you do is select "manual" filter and then decide how many points you want. If your original track has 650 points, try filtering with 600 and then view your track. The nice thing here is that the undo button works, so you can revert back to the original track without having to leave the program.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Hey Mike,

That did the trick! I went from 4800 point to less than 3000 without losing an accurate track, so tx for the tip!

Eins

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools