Topic

Repackaging prepackaged freeze dried meals?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Repackaging prepackaged freeze dried meals?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Hello:

I was planning on repackaging a Backpacker's Pantry 4-serving meal into 3 separate ziploc bags so that I can use it for 3 separate meals.

I know those type of meals have a long shelf life when stored unopened in the heavy duty packaging that they come in. However, I was wondering if there are any spoilage issues I should be aware of if I were to repackage the meal right before I leave for a trip?

Thanks!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You have about 2-3 week window once you open them up. Keep them tightly sealed in Ziploc bags. If you have extra desiccant bags (like the one that comes in every freezedried meal) use them in each bag :-)

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Sarah:

Thank you so much. Thats what I was hoping for.

Scott

Gary George
    BPL Member

@maaax

Locale: Central California

I was told by Mountainhouse that I would only have 3-5 days to use them after opened. Something to do with the dairy in them.

Gail Lusk

@alohatink

Locale: In the Middle of No Where!

Really? Well what I had left over from our JMT hike I put in the freezer, in the ziplock bags I had transferred the meal into. My two sons and I used up the rest of the meal on two differnt times with no problems.
    Maybe they did not contain any dried milk products?
    Yet I am sure the Strawberry Cheesecake one we had must of had milk in it?

Could also be that Mountain House has to say…that you can use them only after 3 to 5 days to prevent any possible law suits in case some one was to get sick.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I would suspect that is most of the reason behind their answer-optimal product use time.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Is there any potential weight savings in repackaging meals into ziplocks? I have a few meals to bring for my next hiking trip, but I don't think it would be worth repackaging…

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I'd only do it if I had to carry a LOT of FD meals and/or had to cram several days' worth into a bear cannister. Repackaging the meals into heavy-duty ziplok bags makes it MUCH easier to pack the cannister. Just remember to take along at least one empty (cleaned for re-use) FD foil pouch per person unless you are doing all your rehydrating/cooking in the pot that heated the water.

Alternatively, punch a small hole in the FD pouch and squeeze out all the iar, them put a piece of tape over the hole. This will reduce the bulk somewhat. Note that this is what Mountain House essentially did with their PROPAK line of vacuum-packed FD meals. Those puppies are no fun trying to cram into a bear cannister – they don't compress at all!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

If yo eat smaller portions it helps (splitting up meals) and or if you want smaller garbage out there (the FD bags are bulky).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools