Topic

Weekend Hikes in Mass?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Weekend Hikes in Mass?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Hey there! Spending the summer in Boston, originally from Chicago. Looking for some good overnight/weekend hikes near the Boston area, especially ones that are accessible by train or bus, but also ones which are not. So far I have found only the Harold Parker State Forest- Can I camp anywhere in the forest?

Any ideas would be great! Thanks!
    Evan

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Evan,

The Appalachian Trail goes through Massachusetts. Not sure how far from Boston or transportation logistics. I was on a section near Springfield last month, very nice territory.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Evan, welcome to MA!

There is a an Appalachian Mountain Club group that hikes every Thursday evening in Blue Hills in Milton, just south of Dorchester and accessible by public transit (train then bus, or train and bike). There's over 200 miles of (official) trails to explore in Blue Hills, and this group hikes them all. They're easy 2-hour hikes but the best part is connecting to a community of hikers in the area (a number of whom have done thru-hikes or are planning them) with great info and a desire to do trips. Most are traditional backpackers and bring traditional equipment on these short hikes for conditioning, but I've met several ULers…including a guy who makes his own incredible backpacks and a gray haired guy who hikes with an umbrella who goes by the name "Ray"…. :)
    PM me and I can put you in touch with them if you're interested.

Greg

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Nick: Thank you for the info- I am looking into how I can get over to the AT this summer for a few days. Hopefully I can make it happen even though its a few hours away by bus/train because it sounds like a great opportunity for a multi day hike.

Greg: I will most certainly PM you about that! Thank you

Evan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools