Topic

Thunderbolt Peak

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Thunderbolt Peak

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Am planning a climb of Thunderbolt in August via South Lake, Bishop Pass, Thunderbolt Pass and Southwest Chute #1. I understand that at the top of the chute there is a class 4/5 section to gain the summit area. I want to take a rope for this section for protection on the way up and rappel on the way down. But to save weight I don't want to take a rope that is longer than necessary for the rappel. Does anyone who has actually done this climb know the length of that Class 4/5 section?

thanks,

Bill

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Bill, a good resource for climbing-related things is Climber.Org

This is a website with lots of trip reports.

–B.G.–

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Thanks for the link. It was somewhat helpful, but not the direct answer that I was/am hoping for.

bill

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Summitpost and mountainproject also have info:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/southwest-chute-1/106983026

http://www.summitpost.org/thunderbolt-peak/150222

Basically via the SW chute it looks like it's pretty easy up the the summit block. The block itself is short enough that people have lassoed the top and aided to the summit. Still no direct answer for your question but it looks like any standard length rope of +50m will suffice since you really only need it on that summit block.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools