Topic

Replacement for LT4 tip section

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Replacement for LT4 tip section

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I broke a tip section of my GG LT4 pole this past weekend. Tip sections are out of stock at GG. Anyone have a replacement tip to sell or know of a possible alternative?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

The LT4s accept the Leki tips and baskets.

Now if you broke the lower CF SHAFT section, then you've got a real problem. I managed to foolishly do that several years ago on the JMT and bought 2 new lower sections – one to replace the broken one and a spare for my gear closet.

Sorry, no, I won't sell the spare, or at least not for anything even vaguely approaching a reasonable cost.

God only knows what the supply problem is that has GG out of stock on these very popular poles for so long.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Yeah, I need the whole tip section, not just the tip.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

You might want to search for tapered carbon tube. I found this:

http://www.rockwestcomposites.com/browse/round-carbon-fiber-tubing/tapered-carbon-tubing

You could also try the Composites Store but I didn't see tapered tube:

http://www.cstsales.com/Carbon_Fiber_Tubes.html

Mike

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

You might be able to learn something FROM THIS.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Thanks for the links, guys. Nice repair, Greg. My break was quite high on the tip section. I thought about trying repair, but not sure it would have held as well up high on the shaft. Regardless, it broke on my last day as we were going through areas where I probably should have put away my poles anyway.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I have repaired both upper and lower sections. If its broken just above the taper then you can whittle down the taper and put it inside the broken section with epoxy. Mine pole has at least a thousand miles repaired in this manner. If its even higher you should be able to find an internal splint.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I now take nesting tubes that can splint an upper, a lower, or a tent pole. (I tightly wrap a skein of 2mm "emergency cord" and stuff it inside to utilize that volume.)

You can find thinwall brass tubing at most hardware stores, or at Michael's, in sizes to closely fit over both the uppers and the lowers. Clean up the shattered ends, slide the tubing over and tape it in place.

If an end is effectively destroyed/split for a number of inches I would suggest cutting back until you get to solid material. Otherwise one end could split around the other and then telescope in.

PoleSplint

I used this technique on a recent trip and pole held up well for the remaining 5 days.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools