Topic

How are Montrails sized?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How are Montrails sized?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a pair of Montrail Hiking Shoes, but no local places carry the brand. So, I'm stuck with ordering on-line. My experience tells me that different companies shoe sizes (especially shoes for some reason) are all over the place.

So, for someone who owns Montrails amongst others, how are they sized compared to say -Nike or New Balance?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

On the http://www.runningwarehouse.com site they list fit recommendations for all shoes including Montrail's they carry.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

Not sure if it's what Thom is referring to, but best thing I've seen is runningwarehouse's little "Show me how it fits!" applet. It's accessed by clicking the colorful blue/green icon on upper right area of each shoe's page. With the input you give of shoe model and size you already wear that fits correctly this app gives a size recommendation of the prospective shoe, along with graphical (3d and 2d) representation of how the prospective shoe differs, showing where it will be the same, looser, tighter. Most, but not all, of the shoes runningwarehouse sells have been scanned and can be accessed in the sizing applet.

Plus they've got good prices and free delivery and free return delivery. Great place to buy shoes.

Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

I've had a few pairs and think they size like most other brands.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

"I've had a few pairs and think they size like most other brands."

I have a few pairs too and, while the size designation may well be the same, shoes can differ greatly in overall fit. For example, my Montrail Fairhaven's have a wide and roomy toebox, my Montrail Mountain Masochists are narrow and tight all the way through. Both are size 9 and both fit me. They're very different, though. I kept the Mountain Masochists b/c, technically, they "fit", later came to realize I just couldn't live with their narrowness. The runningwarehouse applet I mentioned in post above clarifies these differences.

Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

I have a pair of hiking boots that are all leather and a pair of approach shoes. the length is the same and thus why I suggest sizing is similar, but the fit is different for both. the approach shoes are slightly narrower by the toes and have less volume as well but it seems that's kinda the idea of the design.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

In my experience, Nike runs the smallest of all shoes Ive had.

Montrail seems about normal

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I'd say Montrail is sized "normal", but as another poster mentioned, within their line there are several different "fits", based on the last they use

the MM's do run narrower, I had to send mine back- I need a very roomy toe box that I found in the Sabino Trail and to a lesser degree the Badrock and the Fluidflex

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I'm on my 5th pair of masochists. I love these shoes. I wear a street size 10, but have settled on a size 11 for masochists. I wouldn't say they run small like Nike, but I prefer to have a roomy hiking show so I size up. One warning, the older GTX masochists run small (gray shoe with blue stripes). I think the liner is on the inside. The new WPB verion is called Out Dry (I think) and it is much roomier like the standard verion.

Jamie

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My take is similar to Jamie's. I'm on my 3rd pair, wear a street size 9.5 and buy the 10.5 which gives me enough space in the footbox. I've never felt they were too narrow but, even with the 10.5, I tie them slightly loose and maybe the narrowness of the shoe contributes to them feeling secure.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I have some Nikes for casual wear that are 29cm/11US and the Montrail Bajada's that are 29,5cm/11.5US.
    The casual Nikes fit normal, while the Bajadas in that size fit perfectly for hiking. I.e. about a cm space up front, my toes can move around. Due to the good heel cap and the way I tie them my foot stays securely in place.

Hope that helps

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools