Topic

“Fireballs” Ultralight 2g Cotton Ball Fire Starters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Fireballs” Ultralight 2g Cotton Ball Fire Starters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

I've updated the design to the classic cotton ball fire starter. I dubbed the name accidentally when making the video. :P

I've improved them in several ways:

1. Lighter (1-3 grams each vs. 3-5 grams each)
    2. Smaller
    3. Less messy
    4. Easier to make
    5. Still just as effective as the classic ones

I made a video on how to make them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rotV4PLebws

Edit:
    Here is a comparison of mine vs the other styles:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqMP-yuqg8

Tell me what you think!
    Thanks for looking!

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Rocco,

I want to check it out, I really do! Sixteen minutes of vid is too much for me, though. I have the attention span of a squirrel in that Over the Hedge movie. :)

Can you boil down "the answer" to either a quick description or a radical new editing project that concentrates the information into a shorter video?

Randy Amos
    Spectator

@randyamos

Locale: Indiana

Good idea man but way too much video for what it is.

Essentially, Cut the cotton ball in half, heat up petroleum jelly to liquefy it. just barely dip the half cotton ball into the liquid petroleum jelly.

Less petroleum jelly and smaller cotton ball = less weight but still has similar burn time to full size cotton balls hand dipped in room temp petroleum jelly.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Thanks, Randy, for the down and dirty. Like Eric, I did not have the patience to watch the end.

Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

Yeah, guess you are right… I do tend to over explain everything in videos I make.
    I think it's a habit from my other channel "Mechrocktech". When you have to explain to people how a computer works and they have no clue how, I have to go step by step.

I'll see if I can make a shorter one, but in the mean time Youtube added an awesome scrubber feature so it makes it much easier to look through longer videos like this.
    Hover over the load bar and you should see a mini picture pop up of what is being shown in the video at that time.

Edit:
    Also, Randy pretty much explains it perfectly for those wondering!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Thanks for contributing, Rocco. Hope to see you in the NC hills soon. I was out there last weekend.

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

Have you considered trying paraffin rather than petroleum jelly? I've been making cotton balls fire starters using melted paraffin and so far they seem to work pretty well. And no mess.

Cheers,

Bill S.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools