Topic

Food

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Food

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Since Philmont season is approaching fast, thought I would provide some pics to help some people. You hear all kinds of things about how bulky Philmont food is. These are either exxagerations, or the people dont have much experience backpacking with 1.8 lbs per day of food outside of Philmont.

Its not THAT bulky. It is more bulky than normal, mainly due to cardboard cracker boxes, and dehydrated meals (mountainhouse) which are very bulky anyway.

Here is the standard 4 days food = 6 bags per person6 bags

And here is it in a Zpacks blast foodbag. Not squashed, just moved around and arranged pretty easily.blast

hope this gives some a better idea of food volume.

Normally, that would be about 5-6 days food volume for me if I brought ~3 mountain house meals. So, it is MORE bulky than normal, but not terrible.

Also have to remember that when doing food pickups, you will be picking up your dinner for that night, and when actually leaving camp the following morning, you will be minus one dinner and one breakfast, or about 2/3 of a days food. If you make a special run to pick up the food, you may have more room than you expect compared to picking it up enroute to you camping destination for the night.

Mike bievenour

@mrbieven

Best advice I heard and actually makes sense. Leave enough room in your pack for a folded pillow.

Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

Everyone in our crew had two 2-gallon ziplocs for their food/smellables. The boys put their names on the bags so it was very easy to sort from the bear bags in the a.m. Another tidbit from my crew leader, when we picked up our food, the boys spent just a couple of minutes sorting them (Day 1 B, L, D/Day 2 B, L, D, etc.) This made it much easier for the "food buddies" to ensure that they had the right meals. FWIW…

Corbin Camp

@heycorb

Locale: Southeast

Exactly what I need. I have a Zpacks Food Bag and was wondering if what they provided fit for a max 4 day resupply.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools