Topic

Reflectix Pot Cozy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Reflectix Pot Cozy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Devin Karch

@darwin13

Locale: NYC

I live in the East Village NYC and there no hardware stores in this area know what REFLECTIX is let alone sell it. There is one HOme Depot but they don't have it either for some dumb reason.

I know home to make a cozy, but can't get the materials.

I have a 12 in Imusa cook pot.

Need help either buying the right pot cozy or how i could get a small amount of reflectix to make one.

OR

a step by step to why the freezer bag method with a pouch cozy is better.

thanks

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have some material you can have for free; more than enough for your cozy. Another BPL member sent me some good karma this week so this is an extension of PIF.

Don't wory about postage.

EDIT Aluminum tape included.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I made my own using 3/8" closed cell foam; worked better than a bought reflectix cozy, significantly more heat retained after the same amount of time.

I glued the foam together with 5 minute epoxy.

Steve

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I used a car sunshade made out of Reflectix-like material. Should be easier to find.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I think either should work fine. The main reasons I like Reflectix is that it is more flexible (good for a freezer bag cozy, not an issue for a pot cozy), and spills clean up more easily.

Bubble wrap padded plastic mailers will work well and are easy to find in the trash at work.

I tried a freezer bag cozy but didn't like it- too much trouble to eat out of. Instead I went to a cozy for a small Ziploc brand bowl. The bowl is sized to hold a quart ziploc with the edges turned down the sides. I rehydrate with the bag sealed, then open it, turn the edges down, and eat like a civilized person. (Except for the scarfing, belching, etc.)

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
    terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

I use bubble wrap. On the inside of the cozy I use aluminum tape for heater duct work. On the outside of the cozy I use clear packing tape to keep the bubble wrap from getting punctured. I used to make them out of foam but the bubble wrap is lighter and gives just as good insulation. Keeps food too hot to eat for about 1/2 hour and then starts to cool from there. Here's a photo of the cozy and the topcozy and here's the cozy with the snow peak 1400 inside all wrapped upcozy

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I made mine from a dollar store car windshield reflector thingy. Works great.

Betsy Frazier

@dustydeva

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

I also made a cozy out of a Dollar Store car windshield reflector and have used it for the past year. I tested it against a used Mountain House food container and the cozy kept the test water twice as hot sitting for 10 minutes. It's also light as a feather…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Devin,

I sent you a response to your PM which should be in your email inbox or possibly junk mail. PM or email me your mailing address and I'll send it out tomorrow.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools