Topic

Southern/Central CA Memorial Day suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Southern/Central CA Memorial Day suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    James Block

@jsblock11

Locale: Southern California

I'd like to take my wife for an overnighter over Memorial Day weekend for her first ever backpacking trip. Sort of a last minute plan, so I know from experience that San Jacinto/Gorgonio area permits for the trails/camps I think she would like are probably booked up already.

Anywhere in the southern Sierra that might be good for that early this year without permit issues? I'm not finding much info online for Mineral King or SEKI in general. A simple 8-10 mile hike with some mountain scenery would be fantastic, hiking to a lake would be a bonus for my wife but not required. Hoping the low snow year might have some options for us. Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The road to Mineral King might be the problem.

I would bet that SEKI's Lodgepole permit station should be able to fix you up, one way or the other. There are lots of trails in that general area of Giant Forest, so it should not be necessary to hike a zillion miles to get anywhere.

Alternatively, try the Jennie Lakes Wilderness, which is just north.

—B.G.–

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The road to mineral king is usually closed until late may/june if I remember right but there is super low snow right now. I'm sure the road is open but the gate might be locked and possibly only cabin owners can get up there. Give the rangers a call, it's not uncommon for roads to opened to the public early.

This webcam shows that there is still a bunch of snow in the high country around Mineral King.
    http://www.mk-webcam.net/

The road to lodgepole in Sequoia is always open and should have good hikes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools