Topic

Helium Vs. Versalite (I know, another sleeping bag comparison rehash)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Helium Vs. Versalite (I know, another sleeping bag comparison rehash)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Fitz Travels

@fitztravels

Helium Reg 19.5 down (850)
    Versalite 20 down

Now, check the dimensions…

Shoulder:
    Helium … 62 inches
    Versalite … 62 inches

Hip:
    Helium ….58 inches
    Versalite …. 53 inches

Foot:
    Helium …. 40 inches
    versalite …. 39 inches

For the sake of argument, the main difference (weight aside) is that the Helium has a wider Hip region.

thats it.

And yet, people talk about the Versalite like its a slenderer Apache (which makes it warmer because those 2 bag other specs are practically the same)

and people talk about the helium like its a huge sleeping bag.

Im a short, skinny guy and when I tried the helium on at REI, i absolutely loved the room (i bend my knees when i sleep on my side, but dont require it so i would be open to a slenderer bag) and the hood was fantastic and actually when cinched up created the hole perfectly around my mouth and not my nose. But the word on the street is that this bag is probably too big for me and would not be as efficient as a bag with smaller dimensions. But when analyzed, can 5 inches only in the hip region create such a drastic effect upon me?

What I am basically doing is FISHING for someone who is skinny and short and has the Helium bag to tell me that they are just fine in it down to 15 degrees.

Any takers?

Oh, and the real reason I want this bag and not other 15's is because it fits into a S2S 10L compression Sack and is SUPER SMALL. havent tried the versalite, but ive seen its stuff sack full online and its has to be bigger then the helium in its stuff sack (which of course doesnt necessarily mean they both cant compress the same, but it does sway me)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I'm 5'10" 170 lbs which aint really skinny and i have a helium.

… So really i shouldnt post but whateva! Lol

If you have some extra room in there and its really cold just stuff some extra clothes or whatever into the bag with you. If its really cold i usually put my puffy layers down over my legs for an extra boost for my extremities.

What I'm saying is that its an easy thing to overcome (the extra room) if needed. And the extra room to move is awesome for the 90% of the time you arent pushing your bag's limit

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

I'm close to Jeff …..at 5'9" and 170

Had both

Sold the Helium .. kept the Versalite..

And . VERY happy that I did

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

"Oh, and the real reason I want this bag and not other 15's is because it fits into a S2S 10L compression Sack and is SUPER SMALL"

Well, if that is your criteria, buy it. Buy it from REI and if you don't like it, return it… best return policy in the universe.

But if you want a lighter weight, slimmer, smaller bag… check out Feathered Friendshttp://featheredfriends.com/sleeping-bags/sleeping-bags.html

I compared the FF Hummingbird and the Marmot Plasma 15 on my living room floor and chose the FF… though I think the Plasma warmer.

And if you want to go even ligher… check out the Zpacks sleeping bags… though they are hoodless, you can buy a hood separate…

bill

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I'm 5'9'' and 140 lbs. I like my Helium, although I haven't had it down to 15% yet. And I haven't used the Versalite. I got a great price on the Helium.

It is roomy but I like the idea of being able wear a down jacket or other clothes if need be; other users have claimed to push this bag down to 10% comfortably this way.

Bill, if the Plasma was warmer, why didn't you get it? all things being equal.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I didn't get the Plasma because I don't need a bag that warm…

and… I can make the lighter weight bag warmer by wearing my down jacket and pants to bed on colder nights… double purpose items = even more weight savings… this is the BP Lite web site, right?

bill

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

BTW… anyone know if compressing your down bag in a compression sack will reduce the loft of the squished down sooner than would be the case with normal hand stuffing?

bill

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

It's still under debate.

So far I've only come across one scientific study on the subject. Basically the conclusion was that down is very resilient and compressing shouldn't damage the plume (length of study though was not over years). Even under heavy compression the total force is spread over so many down fibers that each individual fiber receives very little bending force.

What was noticed though with heavy compression was that the little barbs and hooks on plumes can stick to each other under heavy compression. This results in lower loft recovery after compression. Under normal conditions it can take hours to days for loft to fully recover. Shaking helps but no idea to what degree.

So in other words you very likely won't damage your down with heavy compression however you will likely reduce the bags ability to keep you warm when compared to a bag that wasn't heavily compressed.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I think this is BPL, bp lite might be this site

–G.B.–

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Bill: I was curious about the Plasma because I'd read mixed/contradictory reviews about it and wondered if you'd found a flaw, or something that you didn't like. Really just wanted your take on it. Anyway it's moot, I ended up getting the Helium on sale.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

no flaw… very nice bag… though a little roomy for a us slender guys

I'd buy the Plasma if I weren't trying to save every ounce I could…

b

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools