Topic

First compass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) First compass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. I'm looking to purchase my first compass. My recent trips have been in familiar places where I haven't even taken a map. As I begin to backpack in new places, I'm planning to carry a topo map and also buy a compass. After searching old posts, I'm unsure as to whether I should stick to a "button" compass or get something that is more capable. While I have no training, I have a desire to learn how to use a proper compass. Would love to hear recommendations. Thank you.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

A basic "real" compass like the Silva Starter is a good way to go. Inexpensive at about $10-12 and it really is all the compass you will ever really need.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

get one with adjustable declination, like the suunto M2

Unless you hike somewhere where mag north is fairly close to true north.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I suggest you snag a Silva Guide/Huntsman (color is the only difference between these models). It's a very lightweight sighting compass with adjustable declination. It floats if you drop it in a lake, the mirror is large enough for "mirror uses" while backpacking (multiple use gear, eh!) and the graduations are easy to read. When closed, the edges are rounded and don't snag or poke pockets/legs, but it's low profile. It's got a ruler on one edge for map work and they are MSRP $23 bucks.

I carry and use a smaller version of these, but it's the Guide/Huntsman I suggest to my Scouts when they ask.

http://store.silvacompass.com/category/345153/Sighting

steven franchuk

@surf

A button compass basically just tells you which way is north and nothing else. With a proper compass you taking readings from known mountains in the distance and then transfer that to your mape and triangulate to find out exactly where you are.

Then from the known possition you can plot a line on the map to your destination and then set the compase to guide you in that direction (which is often not directly north or sout). A good compass has a lot of uses while a button compass has basically only one use.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

A compass does you no good unless you know how to use it… when it counts.

You might find a compass class at REI…. or, I'm sure you could buy a compass book at REI or on line… it's not hard to learn the basics..

bill

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Plenty of tutes on YouTube to teach how to use one.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

+1 on the adjustable declination.

If the compass does not have a declination adjustment screw on the bezel ring don't buy it no matter how cool it looks.

P.S. a small bezel ring is less accurate tham a larger one, which usually has more degree markings.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks everyone.

After doing some additional searching, I found that most of the newer Silvas sold here are made in China. If I decide to go with Suunto, REI carries the Suunto MC-2. Is this too much compass for me? I figure the Suunto MC-2G is overkill.

http://www.rei.com/product/787189/suunto-mc-2-pro-compass

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I have a few of the older made-in-finland Silva compasses, and they are superior to the newer ones – and the US-made Bruntons – in every way. Even better, a starter model new-old-stock with package and not a scratch will only cost $5. Check it out. I really think if you hike near where you live, declination is not that big a deal. It's easy math add or subtract 10-15 degrees and the exact declination is marked on most maps. Get in the habit of it and you won't ruin your eyes trying to move, set and read that little wheel. Just my $0.02.

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

Sean,

You have been given a lot of good advice from those who have responded. One thing to think about is just what will you use the compass for. I have found that a compass is not all that important when hiking on the trails. Sure it helps to orient the map. But if you are not going off trail, then I have found a compass is not all that crucial. What helps me more is an altimeter. When I know my elevation and follow the trail on the map, I am able to pin point my location. So my thought is to not spend a whole lot on a compass. Just my thoughts of course and each person must hike their own hike.

I use a device from Highgear. It is no longer made but they have something similar available. Here is the link https://www.highgear.com/Product/WeatherPort

Mine has an altimeter, compass, clock, thermometer, flashlight and barometer which gives a weather forecast. It weighs 2.5 ounces including the battery which is two years old and still going.

Good hiking,
    Rodney

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools