Topic

Backpacking health risks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking health risks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The other day I stepped over (and nearly stepped on) a baby rattlesnake crossing the trail. I didn't even notice until my friend behind me pointed it out.

Andrew Martin
    BPL Member

@am1982

Locale: PacNW

While not directly related to hiking/backpacking the Accidents in North American Mountaineering books and the statistical breakdowns from 1951 to 2007 make for interesting reading. Slips/falls on rock are the leading cause of death followed by slips and falls on snow/ice. Avalanches are surprisingly far down the list.

Exposure to falls seems to be the #1 killer in the backcountry if the other data in the thread are valid.

Stats tables:

http://c535846.r46.cf2.rackcdn.com/anam_2007.pdf

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Of course there is the chance of an accident — especially if you are in over your head — which skilled and experienced hikers don't do."

+1 with the caveat that in the life of almost every experienced hiker comes that time when sh!t happens. ;o)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Of course there is the chance of an accident — especially if you are in over your head — which skilled and experienced hikers don't do."

Hmmm… methinks that begs the question how skilled and experienced hikers get that way?? Sure, we can learn from others. But we also learn by taking risks — by being over our head. The trick is to balance between pushing ourselves some — but not too much — to enhance our knowledge and skills — but still be around to put them to good use in future trips. :)

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

Ben is so right.
    Alexander McCandles died in alaska most likely because he hitch hiked there. if he had of walked to alaska, he would have along the way learned the difference between break up and run off, and thusly he would have know what he was facing when he tried to egress and the river was in flood stage.

that's my spin on his loss.

v.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

…but backpacking in likely to be no more risky than daily life at home and work depending on your individual lifestyle and choices.

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Hmmm… methinks that begs the question how skilled and experienced hikers get that way??"

Probably by hiking a lot and being observant on every hike to learn about wild places.

Skill is developed by doing something over and over.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Actually falls are one of my biggest fears, especially on solo trips. "

In 2005, my buddy apparently slipped and fell a short distance, probably while trying to get water out of a stream in the Sequoia NP, but he hit his head on a rock, ended up face down in the water without me to pull him out, and drowned. So I guess a very unlucky combo of #1 and #3.

Made worse in that I planned the trip, but was not able to go at the last minute because I was too ill. I drove him to the trail head, and reported him missing when he didn't show up. He was in an area very near where folks take their 10 year olds on their first backpacking trip, about 7-8 miles from the road with designated camping areas and so on, but no one saw him slip. So I definitely worry about falling all the time. I usually go solo and have a fused ankle. Definitely tends to focus ones attention when scrambling and alone.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Rattlesnakes are always a hazard on the trail! Just be smart on how you approach and avoid them.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools