Topic

JMT on FIRE this Summer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) JMT on FIRE this Summer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I had a chance to speak with Mr. JMT him self Reinhold Metzger.

Also read some info on the PCT-L forums.

I found that there will be several record attempts being made this year.

It's looking like no less than 5 of us will be going for the JMT Unsupprted / Unresupplied Attempt of Reinholds.
    Included will be John Stamstad back for his 3rd attempt.

Flyin' Brian Robinson will, (have heard any way), also be going for the out-right record of Keven Sawchucks.

Nothing is 100% confirmed yet, but this will bring the average time to complete the trail way down this summer.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

"this will bring the average time to complete the trail way down this summer."

Nah, I'' still be out there doing it in 15 or 16 days……

I'll definitely be balancing completion time out a lot.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

It's looking like were down to 4 now.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Down to 3 now.
    Now there's a chance.

Scratch that; back up to 4, (at least).

2 of us going for it are BPL members. The other is John Stamsad, (yuck).

Us 2 BPL's may start at the same time just to push each other.
    We will not hike together, just start and if were both around and close at the finish and under the record, will hopefully cross the line together and share the record.

Maybe now we can include Stamtad and make it a real race.
    I'll keep you posted.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Maybe I'll try it S. to N. ( but via the Whitney mountaineers route so I don't have to deal w/ the impossible Whitney trail quota). What's the record S. to N. ?–it's tougher that direction, against the grain. My variation would diqualify me, though. I'd also hitch out to Mammoth for a brewski :-)> double disqualification! Off trail variations via the Roper High Sierra Route—triple disqualification. Well, a personal record, then.

So, perhaps I'll see you en route—a passing blur. I'll be wearing the Green Zip Pack.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

north to south but starting in Tuolumne Meadows – no permit was avail from Yosem & since i'm comparatively slow & only have 14 days, the little head start will help me amble along and maybe make it in that time

so far going solo

not sure yet if i'll take the canister stove or maybe try the bushbuddy – sounds like from some of the other posts that if i'm going to be camping higher as long as i collect my wood for the night somewhere lower the rangers will be okay

i think i'll be using a nano tarp, heavy insulated aircore pad because i'm an achey hard sleeping old dog already and not sure yet just a small mosquito sleep net (about 4 oz) or the MLD bug bivy (about 8.5 oz but would also provide some rain spray protection & a little extra warmth if it gets chilly). so far i think i'll bring the SD Wicked Fastbag Springweight.

going with a very small and light spinfishing setup with flies & bubbles and a few spinners, plus some of my secret weapons.

Jonathan Chiappa
    BPL Member

@chiappaj

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hi Kevin,

S. to N. is actually the direction most of the record holders traveled. You start high and end low.

– Jon

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Yep, I forgot. And Forester Pass and some of the other high passes are tougher from the N. anyway— the N. terminus is closer to where I live, so I'd rather end up there.

Another disqualifier—I would stop the journey at Tuolumne Mdws.–I don't relish ending up in the Valley in high season—I'm a slave to the high country.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools