Topic

Reflectix as a pack frame?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedMay 6, 2013 at 10:16 am

This may be another one of my hairbrained ideas, but I was thinking this morning: how practical would it be to create a UL pack frame out of Reflectix? It could be folded into a frame sheet that's decent thickness, would be relatively stable, and quite light.

Have any of you tried this? If so, how did it work?

Jim W. BPL Member
PostedMay 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

It is way less stiff than a foam sleeping mat. I don't think it would work nearly as well well.

I carried some inside my pack- about 4 thicknesses folded up- and it didn't seem like it would stiffen the pack- though it would pad your back.

I'm thinking of using Reflectix for the bottom of a winter bivy. It is waterproof, puncture resistant, won't stick to snow, and provides some insulation to supplement my pad. I want the full width of the bivy bottom insulated so my gear isn't so cold.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedMay 6, 2013 at 11:57 am

You might get away with glueing some plastic strips to it, like battens in a sail. A folded CCF or self-inflating pad would do as well, so there's no gain for the trouble IMHO. Points for outside the box.

PostedMay 6, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I currently use a double-layer reflectix frame in my REI Flash 18 pack. The two layers are taped together on 3 sides, with the top open. I was looking for something to insulate a camelbak-type bladder and not allow condensation to soak my back or gear inside the pack. I use it with and without a bladder. It is actually quite stiff due to the use of double taped layers. I'm happy with it!

reflectix frame

pocket open

rigid

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...