Topic

Instaflator quality issues

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Instaflator quality issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Is anyone else having issues with their instaflator pad inflators?

I bought two of them about 5 weeks ago, based on good comments here. One was for me, and one was given to a backpacking friend.

Mine worked fine when tested at home, and again on an overnight trip 4 weeks ago.

I went to use mine again on a weekend trip last week, and it had developed a large tear about 4 – 8 inches away from the nozzle. I'm not sure how. I use it, then roll it up and put it in my pack. At home, it's stored in a gear bin until used again.

My friend tried hers for the first time this weekend. It had been in the original packaging until being taken out for use overnight. She says it looks like a seam on hers had given out, also about 4-8" away from the nozzle.

Kinda bummed. I REALLY like the idea of this device, but it seems to have quality issues.

Jeff

Craig .
    BPL Member

@zipper

Locale: LOST, but making good time

One problem I encountered was the bag twisting where it connects to the nozzle. This will seal the bag and the air will have no place to go. Keep trying to inflate and some thing is gonna give.

As an aside I used the Instaflator on my hair just before that foto was taken. No connection to the company just a happy customer.

–BGR–

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Right out of the package mine had a small split (1") at one of the seams where it is pleated down into the nozzle. I patched it and its been fine since.

I don't try to inflate the pad all the way with it, there's a point where the air already inflated into the pad together with the pad construction are stronger than the Instaflator, so it would seem that trying to force that last air could cause the 'flator to pop.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Doesn't sounds like this was the issue with yours but I avoid putting major pressure on it. Similar to the issues with Sawyer squeeze bags, I find that rolling up instead of squeezing down and putting more pressure on the material is a likely culprit to seem failures.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Cut some of the sleeve off and re-install. I cut mine in half, so I have a second part if the first fails.
    Duane

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

How do you affix the nozzle to the plastic film after cutting out the defective section?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I was just guessing from looking at mine a few weeks ago that that was how it was put together, two pieces wedged into each other with the material in-between them. I'm at work on my break, so would not be able to look until Friday.
    Duane

Craig .
    BPL Member

@zipper

Locale: LOST, but making good time

The nozzle is two pieces. Grab each end with pliers and gently twist apart.

Looks like the bag needs to be tapered where it connects to the nozzle. As a test I tried using the non tapered end but the extra material restricts the air flow.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Bummer.
    Duane

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

what kind of pad are you inflating?

I love my exped shnozzle. Filled up my syn mat ul7 in no time. Three bag fulls and about a minute and bam done.

Saw pics on the interwebz. What is that thing made out of?

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

NeoAir XLite. I would about 1 1/2 instaflator fills of air to get the NeoAir reasonably inflated, and top if off with a few breaths to firm it up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools