Topic

need trail runners for very rocky/talus/scree conditions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) need trail runners for very rocky/talus/scree conditions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Sara- good to hear on the Hoka's- all the shoes that haven't worked for me were because of lack of room in the toe box

I've tried a few wide size shoes and often the toe box issue is resolved, but the rest of my feet evidently aren't that wide and they've been too wide in the mid-foot and heel-although that's definitely a lesser "evil"

Mike

Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

Glad I ran across this thread. I'm following it carefully!

I have the Brooks Pure Grit II and while I like them I think there's something better out there for me. Sounds like our ideas of a fit are similar. i have morton's toe, and they are long…some say like a monkey as I'm able to easily pick things up with them.

I need more durability but otherwise would like to keep similar to the pure grit II.

I'm intrigued by the Hoka's and may give them a shot but really have a hard time accepting the very thick sole and the high $$$.

I wore the Pure Grit II for the first time this past Sunday on a long day hike, the great range traverse in the Adirondacks, which I hiked very fast throughout.

Anyways, after 7.5 hours of hiking I already have 3 holes, two on the tips of the toe where there is supposedly stronger material, and the other on the side above the arch, and the foam is shredded all around the edges.

Two days before this hike I tested out a pair of Altra Lone Peaks running up algonquin peak, not the current 1.5 version, and loved them. I think they fit a bit better than the Brooks due to the huge space for my toes. The padding is not as thick and It lets pointy rocks pop through more than the pure grit II. but i think it's totally reasonable. Traction is about the same, in my opinion.

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

One thing I also forgot to mention and this will really be an issue if you aren't buying your shoes from a store where the staff are seasoned trail runners is that you want to buy trail shoes larger than your normal sneakers. Most trail runners you want 1 size larger. Having toes and other parts of your feet crammed into your shoes only leads to bruised (or lost) toe nails and blisters galore. This is where a good lacing system comes in handy. Unless I didn't mention it previously, I Vaseline my feet before a long trail run to prevent blisters because I want to reduce friction between my foot and my sock in a less restrictive shoe. Works like a charm. For some reason (and I'm not sure about the newer Hoka models), I've heard you should get your Hokas 1.5 size larger. This naturally will lead to a larger toe box.

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

Sean, regarding the big foam bottoms of the Hokas. When I first tried them on in the store the saleswoman grabbed a bunch of metal pieces of the shelf (big ball bearings, a metal coat hook, some big bolts) and dropped them on the hard floor. She said, "Step on them." The foam soaked them up like they weren't even there! Now, what does this mean on the trail? It means that all those little nagging sharp rocks you normally avoid on the trail are non issues. Just run right over them! Normally, when I encounter skree or rubble on a trail, I walk over it, because I don't want to wear out my feet. With Hoka's I just keep on going. Where Hoka's really shine is the downhills as you get a spared a lot of the pain.

I have two small problems with Hoka trail shoes. One, is that they feel a little sloppy in the uppers and until you get used to them, you feel like you are going to roll on the edge between the upper and the sole. Over time, this goes away. Second, you are a little higher than other trail shoes. For some reason this changes your stride slightly forcing you to engage muscles differently, particularly on uphills. As you adapt, over time, this feeling goes away.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

as luck would have it, our local running store is having a Hoka rep tomorrow evening and is bringing 50 pairs of shoes to run in, so if they have my size, I plan on giving them a go (wife is too)

one thing someone pointed out to me on the Hoka's is that they are quite as thick as they appear, as your foot actually sits down in some of that padded area- so the tall looking stack height is not quite what it appears

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Mike,

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this or not, or perhaps you're familiar with it already, but check out Running Warehouse. Choose a shoe you're interested in (they have four different Hoka shoes). Once on that shoe's page, click on "Show me how it fits!" You choose a shoe that you already wear that fits you well in the correct size, and they'll recommend the appropriate size shoe of the one you're considering, and even show you how it compares in both 3D and with footbed overlays. I've found it to be pretty spot on, and it'll give you a real good idea on how a new shoe will fit based on a shoe you already wear.

FWIW.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

The shoefitr app on runningwarehouse is excellent in helping with sizing. Just be careful with brand new models. Their data may not be as accurate as with older models. Last fall I ordered a pair of inov-8 Trailroc 255s in the same size as the Trailroc 245s I'd been wearing for 6 months or so. shoefitr confirmed the sizing should be identical. Yet the heel felt too tight, and I returned the 255s. Earlier today I was on RW looking at the Altra Lone Peak 1.5, and I happened to check the Trailroc 255. shoefitr now states that I should go a full size larger in the 255 than I wear in the 245. That explains a lot.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Doug- yeah that sizing application is really nifty! ^ usually when I look up a brand new model on there, they show it hasn't been scanned yet (seems like it takes several months to get a scan), it's definitely not perfect though- I've had a few shoes it said would fit the same and they didn't, but for the most part a pretty nifty app :)

Mike

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well I went out w/ the local running shoe crew this evening (at the peak of the heat-90 degrees!) after strapping on a pair of Hoka Bondi's- they didn't have any of the trail lineup to demo, but the rep said the overall feel would be very close. they picked a very rocky technical trail, 6-ish miles. I did have to size up a 1/2 size to give my toes the room they needed. I have to admit they soaked up the rocks like no other shoe I've run in. a little less nimble than my PI's or Grits, but not terribly so. when my PI's give up the ghost I just might try a pair, probably their Stinson trail shoe- they were very comfy

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Hoka one one were responsible for my recovery from several very painful years of plantar faciatis. Just enough cushioning from the painful ever present rocks all over down here…I was able to get out enough to strengthen my feet and wore thru three pairs and now can wear my regular Keen shoes again. They take a bit getting used to but not much. I thought they would be terribly clunky but the benefits outweighed the look.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well I can say with confidence that the N2's are most definitely worthy on very rocky/talus/scree conditions after just finishing the 50k Rut Run :)

not my pic, but here's the start to summiting Lone Peak

photo lonepeak_zps8acc6fc5.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools